Work proposition

Carl_s1991

Hi all, me and my boss had a chat the other night and as he knows eventually I will more than likely fly the nest, he proposed I get a van, a lad and sub to him. Does this sound a good idea? I would probably be using his 150 chipper, so I'm good for a chipper until I can afford one myself. I'm hoping to be charging around 350 per day. Does this seem too steep? Could anyone do me a rough idea of take home from that price. I know it's difficult to say but I've just been on arbrisk insurance and haven't recieved a quotation straight away so I haven't really got an idea of insurance prices etc. I'm hoping around 200 per day wage. Does that seem doable? Any advice appreciated I'm abit clueless as I've been PAYE for 5 years. Thanks

Forgot to mention all kit bar chipper would be mine and in Staffordshire

Edited by Carl_s1991

If you are on anywhere near £200 a day employed then stay where you are!!

£350 a day would be approx £100 for the Groundie (including your employer expenses) £100 a day to run the show (fuel, insurance, spares, van expenses, etc) including a bit to one side for replacing kit. £50 a day to save for your chipper leaving you £100 a day

Hi Kev,

I'm on nowhere near 200 a day PAYE.

Thanks for the reply, just trying new things as I've always said I don't think I would be able to start a business up from scratch, I was kind of hoping this to be a nice chance at a nice start to my own setup being (almost) guaranteed a slight bit of income without trying to compete with a million others.

I sub myself, Groundy, tipper and chipper out for £400 day. I think this is a reasonable amount, although probably should be more. I don't do this everyday though as I do my own work as well which makes me more.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Exactly what I'm hoping. The thing with my boss would be a help. Then I can fill days with other work for more then price in his chipper too. Thanks

I think it is an ideal oportunity for you. If you can get £350 great, but i would say that is the top end without chipper. Have you the tipper or 4x4 (or both), whatever is most related to works you do?

I was hoping to buy a pickup before the conversation for the odd jobs I get. I'd IDEALLY have both as I wouldn't lose the family aspect of a vehicle like I would if I just had a van. The van would be more worthwhile though as it's mainly domestic work rarely going off the beaten track

Edited by Carl_s1991

I sub myself, Groundy, tipper and chipper out for £400 day. I think this is a reasonable amount, although probably should be more. I don't do this everyday though as I do my own work as well which makes me more.

Tbh that's ok money, I'm assuming your groundie is a subbie on 80/90 a day? So your probably taking home £130/40?

Definitely get a transit type tipper. You can't get bugger all chip in a double cab tipper. I run both, but if that's not a option for you then what about a cheap family car and transit tipper or a double cab transit

I'm thinking of s/c transit and family runaround. I could borrow/hire a 4x4 if needs be. I've had a look around and I rekon I could get a half decent one for 4/5k.