Company van policy

Doe anyone have a copy of a policy they either issue or has been issued to them when they have been provided with a company van which they can also use for personal journeys?

I have bought a van for one of my team leaders which will occasionally be used for work but most miles will be for commuting and his personal use. I know (and he knows) there will be a tax hit for him. I am looking to write a policy to include such as responsibility for maintenance, servicing, cleaning, parking tickets, speeding fines, use limits, etc, etc and wondered if there was one I could modify.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Parking tickets/fines etc can be made the drivers responsibility, however maintenance & service might be a different story, it could be looked at like PEWR regs, it will be owned by you, provided by you, if the driver neglects to get it serviced/maintained and has/causes an accident, god forbid causes a fatality, YOU could be had for corporate manslaughter.

We have a small fleet, we make the driver sign a weekly time sheet that states he has checked the oil level, tyres and lighting, they also sign a document to say they will not use the vehicle for private milage and we have tracker on them, that way they will not be taxed, if they want to use the vehicle to go to the chippy or local tip let's say, they seek permission first, the ruling is "occasionall use" otherwise they are liable for taxation.

With regards to policy, you can write a simple list of your requirements and conditions and the driver signs to accept them (in duplicate) and provide him with a dated copy.

Hope this helps.

Doe anyone have a copy of a policy they either issue or has been issued to them when they have been provided with a company van which they can also use for personal journeys?

I have bought a van for one of my team leaders which will occasionally be used for work but most miles will be for commuting and his personal use. I know (and he knows) there will be a tax hit for him. I am looking to write a policy to include such as responsibility for maintenance, servicing, cleaning, parking tickets, speeding fines, use limits, etc, etc and wondered if there was one I could modify.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

would he not be better buying his own van & you looking after him :biggrin:

would he not be better buying his own van & you looking after him :biggrin:

Exactly. Buying a vehicle for an employee to use as a personal vehicle is dangerous territory. Complicated for company tax, VAT his tax, H&S, employment regs.

Pay them 40p per mile for using their own vehicle for work use when required. Save yourself a world of problems in the future.

Sorry I seem to have missed the bit where I asked should I buy a van!!

I have a number of vans for the different teams, one of the lads is going to be taking one (VW t5) home as a perk and i am permitting personal use. I can easily write my own policy but didn't want to miss anything so if there was one in existence I could modify then why reinvent the wheel and risk missing something vital.

It costs the company next to nothing, he pays 14p per mile private use (over commuting) to cover the fuel used and gets the benefit of a full insured, taxed and serviced vehicle for around £50 a month in tax. According to HMRC a company van is worth the equivalent of ~£4k per year. He's happy, I'm happy, I just need a policy to cover the company.

Exactly. Buying a vehicle for an employee to use as a personal vehicle is dangerous territory. Complicated for company tax, VAT his tax, H&S, employment regs.

Pay them 40p per mile for using their own vehicle for work use when required. Save yourself a world of problems in the future.

There is nothing complicated about it, how many people do you know who have company cars!!

What use is a Ford Fiesta when I need a stump grinder on site that won't go on the trailer with the chipper??