Subcontractor skill level

simonm

Due to staff issues i have being using subcontract groundsmen, after being told he had x amount of hours on a skid steer i let him loose on our brand new 33k skid steer, it was clear he was not as skilled as he made out to be but in an effort to keep the job going i let him continue.

He wasn't a novice but after being told to slow down etc he rolled the machine over! i have spent a full day rectifying his balls up, the job we had it on is still unfinished, i didn't get home until 9 pm after getting the machine recovered! luckily i have managed to get it going with only cosmetic damage.

Things could of being a lot worse than they are physically and financially, i am still in the **** and are down on a substantial amount of money.

He has now sent me an invoice for 3 days at full whack! no "how is the machine" "can i help fix it" "or i feel bad and don't want paying for the day"...

Tell me i am wrong but if it was me i would feel guilty as sin and offer as much help as i possibly could, i expect subbies to work hard, be on time, be skilled in what they do and treat my equipment with respect!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a nightmare situation!

If there is a bright side, at least he wasn't injured or you might have had HSE looking at YOUR responsibilities towards him - possible compo and even prosecution??

You'd feel guilty as sin and offer much help if it were you, and so would I and doubtless most decent blokes would too, but we're not him and he doesn't. I think you're between a rock and a hard place.

Feel for you :sad::mad1:

Simon, I sympathise, genuinely, but the buck stops with you.

Its true Mick, its not until after i thought i will end up paying for someone's stupidity, business is at the stage where i cannot do everything myself and can no longer babysit grown men, in reality i need to bring in or train up skilled men that will in turn make my life easier not harder!

My problem is i like to get stuck in and don't wanna be the idle 1 sat on the machine doing the easy job all day :blushing:

Maybe that's what you should be doing as the boss? The "easy" job and running the job too. Both together isn't the easy route.

Still it's not fair. I don't sub to others but if I cocked someone else's machine up I'd be gutted and be there till the end trying to get it going/ offering to pay for bits damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Irrespective of the machines worth, the operator was clearly not up to using it in a safe and workmanlike way. This should have set alarm bells ringing which you cast aside. In reality you should have stopped any further work at the time. Easy to say in hindsight but you have learned a big lesson.

codlasher

Irrespective of the machines worth, the operator was clearly not up to using it in a safe and workmanlike way. This should have set alarm bells ringing which you cast aside. In reality you should have stopped any further work at the time. Easy to say in hindsight but you have learned a big lesson.

codlasher

This year has being a huge learning curve when it comes to employees and how the can add to my business, making do with the help you can get is a big difference to getting the help you need, I genuinely dont think the skills and correct work ethic is out there!