Legal trailer projections

simonm

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that reminds me, i heard a story about my granddad today, apparently about 40 years ago, he had a ford cortina and was collecting a load of turf with about 2 hours of a drive away from home. they got the loan of a truck that was fitted with greedy boards, the turf was stacked in the back, up and up the turf about 5-10 feet over the top, thats grand. out the road they start racing, they meet a bridge (railway) and all the turf on the top ended up all over the road. they had to make to throw it on top again.

so always check the height of your load and make sure there are no low bridges on route, so long as the load is secure they aint no limit

I got a big book of words here :lol:

305mm or a max of 2.9 meters width . After that marker boards and two days notice to police. It also goes on to say these projections need lights fitted if they are further back than 1 meter from the vehicles lights if used after dark and side marker lights if extending more than 400mm past the vehicles side marking lights.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

I know that each axle can legally carry a load of 1750 kg so tomorrow its weigh bridge time...there must be a maximum weight that can be applied to the tow ball and or trailer hitch? is this correct?

Cars normally 50kg nose weight. 4x4 up to 150kg normally

Just seen the tow ball is made by witter and has 250kgs wrote on it! surely this cant be the maximum load pressing down upon it :confused1: the vehicle is capable of towing 3.5t Isuzu Grafter and the trailer Brian James twin axle can carry 2.610kgs. even with the load directly over the axle when braking or going over potholes the load imposed on the tow bar must by far exceed 200kgs :confused1:

When braking a correctly loaded trailer should be pushing into the vehicle, not pushing down surely?

Bob, is that for HGV's or light /sub3.5t trailers too?

I know that here (normally the same EU licence specifications) sub 3.5t trailers can be a maximum of 2.6m wide, with side overhang of load 20cm per side included in that 2.6m. then theres also the visibility from the mirrors to factor in.