video display equipment whilst driving

kevinjohnsonmbe

Hoping "Just Me" will be along with a (excuse the pun) view on this....

I've been looking at reversing cameras - go easy on the derisory comments, yes it is for a girl (although also useful for picking up the tow hitch.)

First thought, was simply a reversing camera. Then I thought, what about a twin cam rear view and reversing camera - useful for box van with no rear windows / rearview mirror.

Found a potentially suitable item:

https://www.parkingcameras.com/store/product.php?productid=415&cat=19&page=1

Then I wondered about the legality of having a video stream of the rearview whilst driving - would it be classed as a distraction and liable for prosecution? How is it any different to a rearview mirror with moving images??

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 says:

Television sets

109.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

© to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/109/made

So, it would appear that it should be acceptable to have a rear view camera with live feed whilst driving.

Then, after the recent crash & dash experience, I got to thinking about a camera system with reverse and rear view live feed + record whilst driving + record whilst engine turned off in a dash cam sort of fashion.

Anyone tried anything similar or have any advice / pointers??

I think you have ably answered your own question.

The one you have missed is the location of the front cam.

It must not be in the wipers sweep or even on the dash if it blocks your view of the sweep.

I am fitting one to my camper as so many car get so far up my ass I need an endoscope to see them. It will be set up as a virtual rear view mirror.

If its just for reversing then fit one that comes on when reverse is selected.

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Yes, that's what I was thinking, virtual rear view mirror sort of thing. I didn't mention the wiper sweep issue but was aware of it having just done dash cam instal in the Hilux.

Just pondering wether a 2 camera feed into a 5" display (upward aspect for rear view while driving, downward view for reversing) and having to mode switch between cameras on screen when reversing might be a pain. I'll ponder that.

I too chuckled at the CRT reference!!