2017 inflation

kevinjohnsonmbe

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Considering how many students that are pushed out of schools teaching arborculture every year in the U.K., I believe the economics and viability of finding work much less turning a net profit after expenses is not part of the curriculum for students. Taking this in to consideration I believe very few members even calculate or consider inflation and how it affects net profit.

easy-lift guy

Considering how many students that are pushed out of schools teaching arborculture every year in the U.K., I believe the economics and viability of finding work much less turning a net profit after expenses is not part of the curriculum for students. Taking this in to consideration I believe very few members even calculate or consider inflation and how it affects net profit.

easy-lift guy

a very true quote on the future of the indusrty thumbs up to that man uk full of teachers and no one actually working to many training goal posts moving in every proffesion

Anyone considering a round of price rises (domestic arb) in line with forecast inflation rises in 2017 or will it be a continuation of competing hard for jobs on price and maintaining the oft rued under valuation of the industry sector?

I'd guess the amount of response to this thread sort of answers the question.:confused1:

Yes of course. Suppliers are increasing their prices so my rates will have to increase to accommodate this. I have found there to be little point in trying to compete with the cheapest outfits as there will inevitably always be someone cheaper than you. Keep your team well trained, provide the best professional service you can and charge accordingly. There will always be people who will employ the cheapest they can find or have a friend of a friend who can do it. Its not worth worrying about. With regards qualified and trained competition - well they should be increasing their costs also or taking the hit on increased supplier costs. I suppose it depends on how much you need the work. If you have a good reputation you should not have a problem.

I'd guess the amount of response to this thread sort of answers the question.:confused1:

Maybe Mr Eggs....

It could be that the "thinking" businesses either don't want to or don't have time to discuss in the public domain and the "hand-to-mouth" happy to get by brigade haven't considered it.

Who knows, just crossed my mind whilst watching the news last night what with the forecasts of inflationary rises due in the NY and I was thinking back to some previous posts where people have said they were earning more 10 /15 / 20 years ago.

Yes of course. Suppliers are increasing their prices so my rates will have to increase to accommodate this. I have found there to be little point in trying to compete with the cheapest outfits as there will inevitably always be someone cheaper than you. Keep your team well trained, provide the best professional service you can and charge accordingly. There will always be people who will employ the cheapest they can find or have a friend of a friend who can do it. Its not worth worrying about. With regards qualified and trained competition - well they should be increasing their costs also or taking the hit on increased supplier costs. I suppose it depends on how much you need the work. If you have a good reputation you should not have a problem.

What's your set up (if you don't mind saying.) Just thinking about how my costs might increase next year - the fuel / oil is an easy starter for 10. Not convinced the 'consumables' usage will make any noticeable dent. Not sure what else might have any significant effect. I'm not due any major servicing of vehicles, not (at the moment) planning on any big buy items.

Totally agree your point about not over competing on price, I'd rather leave it than be driven into the ground for the sake of getting the job. That said, I have just been bitten by having underestimated the time / complexity of a job, first one for a good while though so not too stressed, it'll act as a wake-up call!

Mate was telling me about one of the bigger players doing LA contract work who had a £7/tree rate for street tree re-pollarding. I had a think about it while I was in Plymouth yesterday. They'd have to be doing 100 trees a day just to cover costs? Seems crazy!!

Oh! I guess I fall into the happy to get by brigade.:blushing:

I'll still be putting my prices up mind.

Talking about wages years ago I started on the roads in May 1996 doing 12 nights on, two nights off. I was drawing just over a £1k/week then....... How times have changed.

You're mixing up timescales and previous employment now just to muddy the waters...

1k/week, 20 years ago and just getting by.... you're baiting me now!

5976724a7b08e_ScreenShot2016-12-14at13_19_06.png.addb8a5495da7ec6d74265cfb9551655.png

You're mixing up timescales and previous employment now just to muddy the waters...

1k/week, 20 years ago and just getting by.... you're baiting me now!

Ok. Not just getting by, but I still have to get a few quid each week.

£1k/week sounds like good money don't it?

We worked 84 hours/week when we were doing 7 nights, and 60 hours/week when we got the weekend off. Not so glamourous now!

That was back in the day when you worked your first 8 hours on flat rate then went on overtime for the last four hours..... Remember that?

I'd like to think that you know I wouldn't try to bait you.

Edited by eggsarascal