Hitting a parked vehicle and not leaving details

kevinjohnsonmbe

Had a cunning, underhand, no-morals, tosser hit my van whilst parked yesterday.

Apparently, according to the 2 witnesses, she hit it, stopped, got out , looked at the damage, jumped back in and sped off at pace.

Tough break coming for a rash decision....

I've reported to Police and insurance company, it's a locally registered vehicle. Posted on FB in local groups and just about to send off to DVLA for details of the registered keeper.

It'll get more expensive with every day that passes and the more admin I have to do. Yesterday: Police log, CCTV review. Today: Insurance company report and request to DVLA for details of registered keeper. Tomorrow: Lost days work while going to Plymouth Police Station to fill in the necessary paperwork for a prosecution. Time and travel to visit repair centre for cost estimate for insurance, a working day lost to wait in while the repair company collect the vehicle and another day lost waiting in for them to bring it back.

All the timings and costs of my administrative effort will be the subject of a small claims court recovery action for uninsured losses. The consequences of a selfish and rash action that will come back and bite!

Link here to DVLA form if anyone else has similar misfortune!

https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

5976724a16a29_ScreenShot2016-12-12at17_24_45.jpg.4167c62f6afad5d50784a2d37f270bb4.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope your able to recover all of your losses. Just curious does your policy cover uninsured motorist?. Here in Florida a percentage of all premiums collected by insured drivers is pooled into a fund that covers accidents or damage done to covered vehicles and or drivers and passengers that fall victim to uninsured drivers. If properly documented additional expenses can be recovered as well. If such a system is in place for drivers in the UK that would be great, otherwise it is surely overdue.

easy-lift guy

That's bad luck, I had somebody reverse into my car once. To be far they left their details and couldn't have been more helpful in getting things sorted out. I got more trouble from the ambulance chasing lawyers trying to make claims even though I was a mile from the car at the time! What goes around comes around as they say and I would own up as its the right thing to do and I've been in the above scenario. Hope you get it sorted out

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Best of luck with it, Kev.

It would be nice to see justice done, and good to see someone going down the civilised route rather than reaching for the baseball bat - hurray for grown ups!

:blushing::blushing::blushing:

I didn't say I wouldn't / won't, just getting the money sorted first!

:laugh1:

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

I hope your able to recover all of your losses. Just curious does your policy cover uninsured motorist?. Here in Florida a percentage of all premiums collected by insured drivers is pooled into a fund that covers accidents or damage done to covered vehicles and or drivers and passengers that fall victim to uninsured drivers. If properly documented additional expenses can be recovered as well. If such a system is in place for drivers in the UK that would be great, otherwise it is surely overdue.

easy-lift guy

It is insured Ted, my insurance company checked the database.

I have a £500 voluntary excess though. My insurers said if they get an admission of liability and are able to recover full costs from the other party then I won't be liable to pay the excess.

I'm going to pursue a small claims action for uninsured losses - my time, effort and inconvenience too!

That's bad luck, I had somebody reverse into my car once. To be far they left their details and couldn't have been more helpful in getting things sorted out. I got more trouble from the ambulance chasing lawyers trying to make claims even though I was a mile from the car at the time! What goes around comes around as they say and I would own up as its the right thing to do and I've been in the above scenario. Hope you get it sorted out

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It feels a bit Karmic! A month ago I saw someone do something very similar so I put a note on the injured party's vehicle. They phoned and said thank you and let us know when you're next in town for a beer!

What goes around.....