Help!! Thinking about getting back in the game!!

AdamL

Hi everyone I'm new today! My background : worked for 6 years in tree care/garden care company before moving to the forestry commission where I was for 3 years before becoming a piece work wood cutter before more recently leaving the game all together to go into fruit farming/tractor work and that's where I currently am self employed.

I have always had the urge and passion to start my own business in garden maintenance with tree care included and hopefully logs. The whole shabang basically but I'm scared to as I now have a steady job with reasonable income where as in the past I haven't and it has been difficult as I have 3 kids , I'm earning about £26k a year working 5 and a half days a week anywhere from 50 to 60 hours Monday - Saturday!

I feel my knowledge is good enough to go for it as in tree identification etc and hedge cutting grass cutting and all that but I am not a climber so would be doing tree care in the hope I can find someone who is available for jobs to climb for me but then don't I need the ground rescue certificate etc?

Basically I've been out the game for so long, about 5 years I'm worried and it could have a massive impact on my family as we are now stable but it is a dream and the flexible hours that I can choose being my own boss would be good.

I hardly have any equipment I have a normal car and 2 husqvarna really good chainsaws and a mower that's seen better days lol. And my qualifications are chainsaw certificates cs31 and cs30 plus trailer license + pa1 pa3 spraying certificate and I can obviously prune fruit trees professionally.

I hear there is waste disposal cert and a load of **** that is needed which is the really scary part as I ain't got a clue tbh. Finding a cheap or even free yard with some farmers I know might be an option for the future after start up but I don't know what to do.

Any help guys is much appreciated

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in south east Kent. [emoji16] good ideas thanks. Might try the log department. Obviously I've got a cheap to run car at the moment so the logs would have to justify having a 4x4 or whatever all year round. How profitable can logs really be now every Tom dick and Harry is doing them?

If I was to buy an arctic load of say mixed hardwood let it stand for a year obviously...how much would that artic load cost and how much could I make from it all being logged and sold? [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Getting a new business off the ground up and running take a hell of a lot of work,be prepared to have no time for yourself nevermind your family plus all the stresses that go with it.

Ive recently seen a good mate start his own venture and it looks bloody hard.I have the utmost respect for anyone who decides too take the leap and start up there own business so go into it with your eyes open and be prepared to work your bollocks off.

If your confident in your capabilities go for it but make sure your family know the risks and are prepared to back you no matter what happens.

Good luck mate

I'd stick where you are if the kids are still young. Or at least cut down on it slowly if possible while you build it up.

The ability to choose hours is overrated in my experience as it just means that when it's daylight you can go to work and do paperwork when it's dark.

Having said that I would not go back to being employed now!

I'd sit tight where you are for now, at least until you have all/most the gear you are going to need, and picked up some occasional work. £26k/year isn't bad money, depending on where you're based.

When I first started I already had all my gear, and some work before I left my job. Along with savings in the bank, a redundancy pay-off, and no children.

It worked out, but the first couple of years were very hit and miss.

I'd sit tight where you are for now, at least until you have all/most the gear you are going to need, and picked up some occasional work. £26k/year isn't bad money, depending on where you're based.

When I first started I already had all my gear, and some work before I left my job. Along with savings in the bank, a redundancy pay-off, and no children.

It worked out, but the first couple of years were very hit and miss.

Good advice imo

Thanks guys, all the help puts things into perspective! I think your right, sit tight for now. The kids are very young so when they grow up there will be more time, plus a possible extra wage from the Mrs. Would really like to do logs though, feel that could be a good start and good extra income?

I have a Vauxhall Astra at the mo, no chance of that being able to pull a trailer of logs? [emoji30][emoji15][emoji16][emoji849]

Thanks guys, all the help puts things into perspective! I think your right, sit tight for now. The kids are very young so when they grow up there will be more time, plus a possible extra wage from the Mrs. Would really like to do logs though, feel that could be a good start and good extra income?

I have a Vauxhall Astra at the mo, no chance of that being able to pull a trailer of logs? [emoji30][emoji15][emoji16][emoji849]

Yeah, plus when the kids are older you've got cheap labour.

My son was 10+ before he was strong enough to pull-start a chainsaw but up until then they'll have to just use a axe.