When do you quote?

Ian C

Sorry if it's been done before, I have looked but couldn't find anything.

This is aimed at the smaller firms really, when do you quote? this year has done my head in, so busy and trying to fit everything in has almost got to me (I remember Mr Blairs thread on stress) I have been out with the lads most days then trying to fit 2-3-4 quotes in a night and not getting in till 8pm which is totally stupid, we run 2 teams, 2 full timers as one team and me and a subbie as the other, I'm thinking of say 3 days on the tools and then doing all the quotes on say a Thursday and Friday inc evenings for those two nights, my only concern is weather people will put up with this as most will be at work and will they wait nearly a week if they call on a Friday? I'm up for sergestions as I need to run 2 teams but also want a little quality of life as well.

Discuss please.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment I'm finding it very difficult to manage everything. My misses is getting annoyed with me as I'm out the door at 7.30 and don't get in until 8.30/9. I'm in my second year of business, running a one truck and chipper crew just using subbies at the moment. Debating whether to take somebody on full time or not. I'm usually spending every evening and Saturdays and Sunday's (most of the day) out quoting, paper work etc. I find it very difficult to manage work and life.

Any tips would be very good please!

I have lost jobs, including one on the street where I live - just a few doors up. I was only asked on the Tuesday, but because I waited until Friday to quote as I was too busy to do the quote immediately. Over the years, I know similar gazumpings have happened, so I always try to let the client know when I expect to get the quote to them, but sometimes its just not enough.

I used to work for a large, national company and to help with this problem, they employed 'Estimators' whose sole job was to price and quote for works. Obviously as a manager, I had to make sure it was all correct and possible to achieve within budget before it was submitted to the client, but still this approach worked well and took a load off me. At the same company, we also had 'seek-out' periods, where twice a month we would have time set aside purely to concentrate on getting new contracts and finding more work. It was considered very important time for us managers as it made sure we were always trying to add new budgets to our order book - thereby making us profitably useful in the eyes of the company.

I wouldn't mind a similar system now, as like you Ian, I can be working until as late as 22:00 doing the quotes/paperwork in my busiest periods. I think there is some sense in assigning time for you to do these tasks, but only if you have a responsible team to take care of the manual, while you work in the office or with clients. It will mean a lot of administrative organisation on your behalf ie to make your office time pay instead of being out with the gang, but it may be a good move in the long run...

Kinda along the lines of what Edward's said above.

Whilst waiting at IoM airport for flight back to Glos. (exciting stuff) I read an article in a business magazine and whilst I can't just remember the phraseology it was something like are you the manager "in" the business, inferring you're probably meddling in stuff you should be getting others to do, OR the manager "of" where delegation has happened n your role is more strategic etc.

Okay, she, the author, was referring to SME's but probably ones employing upto 20 people say so quite, quite different scenario, and available resources and knowledge / experience, to a micro-business.

Nevertheless an interesting read and perhaps something worth thinking about, i.e. what exactly is your role and are you delegating...where / if you can.

Tc Ian, stress manifests itself in many different ways and can be very bad news...stating the obvious BUT!

Paul