PAYE own stuff on weekends?

karl1991

Hi all, I need to discuss this with my employer but on weekends I do odd things for myself, mainly through friends, family then onto neighbours etc of the above, how would you guys feel? I own all my own saws, trailer, climbing gear. It's mainly hedge cutting due to one man band, with the odd tree job. Any large jobs ill recommend my boss, I'm unsure of what to do at my current place, I am undecided weather to go self employed, get insured and go for it, but at the moment with young children I can't afford to give up the holiday and pretty much guaranteed income. Just wondering what you guys think of what I'm doing, a big no no? I want to discuss things with him like chipping jobs etc but want things still amicable. Thanks

You are right - discuss it with your employer.

How many people on here started out just like that?

I'd say it's perfectly OK. If you get on OK there shouldn't be a problem.

The main issue would always be if he trusts you not to 'steal' his customers - but if you are working for friends/relatives AND referring big stuff to him I'd say all is fine.

One of my guys does this and we get on fine. Everyone knows the 'rules' and we trust each other implicitly.

How would your employer feel if he found out from another source?

What is in your contract? Some people say no to side jobs as if you injure yourself they will be an employee down but with hedge cutting and small trees I wouldn't see a problem. The way I see it if you do the job everyday you should be pretty skilled at it therefore a lower risk of injury, much more likely to hurt yourself playing a contact sport and employers can't tell you not to do that.

I'd say have a chat and make sure you mention any big jobs will be thrown their way. If I was employing someone id be happy with that agreement.

Definitely will discuss with boss as I don't want to tread on anyone's feet. It went from one job at my aunties to a few on the cul de sac, then the mrs' work mates etc. I was a bit hesitant at first when asked to price, but then it dawned on me that I work 8/10/12 hour days for £85 and I can bang that in by 11 doing a hedge alone. It's now progressed. Like I said I will pass his details on for big jobs, as I earn my 85, I certainly won't sub jobs out

What is in your contract? Some people say no to side jobs as if you injure yourself they will be an employee down but with hedge cutting and small trees I wouldn't see a problem. The way I see it if you do the job everyday you should be pretty skilled at it therefore a lower risk of injury, much more likely to hurt yourself playing a contact sport and employers can't tell you not to do that.

I'd say have a chat and make sure you mention any big jobs will be thrown their way. If I was employing someone id be happy with that agreement.

I've never actually had a contract, like I said I don't want to be treading on toes, there is another lad who works with us just setting up with business cards, Facebook page magnetic signs etc which boss was happy with, but he is already self employed. I'm in his books

I can't imagine anyone not doing a bit of weekend work on the side, good way of supplimenting income.

You're far more likely to injure yourself playing rugby or football.

Like to see an employer stop that!

Well said mick

I've never actually had a contract, like I said I don't want to be treading on toes, there is another lad who works with us just setting up with business cards, Facebook page magnetic signs etc which boss was happy with, but he is already self employed. I'm in his books

How long have you been working for this guy? He's supposed to give you a contract of employment within a 3 months of joining. Do you receive payslips that show the tax & NI being deducted.

I know it's common place for contracts of employment not to be issued but in a trade where there's an increase in risk of getting injured, would say it's pretty important for both sides and protecting your backside.