Professional Memberships

simon43

Appreciate this could cover a number of forum areas, but as a newly graduated FdSc student and thoughts on professional memberships ?

As far as I can work out it broadly (but not exclusively) seems to be in the lines of RFS - landowners and large estates, ICF - managers / consultants, Arb Association - Practitioners / consultants.

I have been a Student member of the ICF (they were the only ones who actually engaged with the course I was on) and found some of the resources and CPD events quite useful, although I perceived a bit of a Stand off ish attitude from some of the chartered members at regional meets.

So question to those who have been in the industry for a while is - if you are an employee would you be looking for your team to have or be working towards membership, and do these memberships actually bring in extra business, I.e. Do customers enquire if you have any professional memberships, and which of these organisations would you recommend based on your experience

• 3 weeks later...

Edward - a good review, I agree with your viewpoints entirely.

Simon, you should really consider is what job you want to do, and particularly, what is commonly asked for in the job adverts. Over the years I have seen many job ads specifically requesting one affiliation over another, so spend sometime looking at the ads for jobs you are interested in and work out which membership would be most beneficial to you.

From a personal view - If I were to only choose one, it would be ICF, but then, most of my work is consultancy level and I don't spend too much time on the saw anymore, so it is best representative of my skill set. Best of luck in your search...

Hi

It also depends on what you want to do. If it's management ICF, if it's more practical tree surgery work AA.

...as a tree officer personal membership of the AA and professional membership of the ICF.

HI Edward, I hope you're well.

Just an observation, if I may, but are not the above two comments at odds with one another?

You are indeed quite right that the ICF hold the Royal Charter, and can award Chartered Arboriculturist status, a relatively recent thing, but many feel the Arbor. Association to be more of a natural home and we too offer a Registered Consultant accreditation to Professional Members and Fellows.

Just a little more info for Simon I guess.

Regards..

Paul