What's killing my trees?

IanW

I like grown trees from seed, particularly the redwood family :D

I'm having problems with seedlings and young trees that are 2 years old.

Basically my seedlings are dying and the older trees are too, they are developing what I can only describe as blotches and turning a funny pink colour then eventually dying completely.

here are some pics,

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1408559554.748119.jpg.27e0d6b8dbd9bea111b58b5cb7dee110.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1408559593.312120.jpg.7b8b911fdf3c392abc635dcf64540b30.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1408559635.137502.jpg.3e1245b49db465744294fdb4ebcc5084.jpg

Can any one tell me what it is and how to stop it ??

Many thanks

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly how old, how long have the seeds been in the bag?

Split one open with your nail to make sure it's still ok, not dried out!

It's a little late in the year to set them off, but it's do'able if you can keep them all indoors and get decent light.

First soak the seeds in water for 24hrs

Get a sterile non growing medium, vermiculite works very well, available from any garden centre. Get a zip lock freezer bag, put a hand full of vermiculite in and add a little water to dampen it, you do NOT want any water sloshing about, just enough to dampen it.

mix the seeds in, and put them in the fridge for 4 weeks, you want to keep them at about 4 degrees, periodically open the bag and let fresh air in.

after the 4 weeks, sit the bag in your front room, or some where that's about 20 degrees.

Check the seeds every few days to see how many have germinated and sprouted a little root.

Get a good seed potting mix, John Inns No 1 I think is good, pot them up, give them good light but not direct hot sun, don't over water but try just give them enough every few days.

..... sit back and watch them grow.

That's about all the advice I can give mate, have a bash and see how you go, it's a big learning curve if you really want to grow your own trees, I love it.

All the best

Ian

OK thanks for the advice, I bought them about 6-8 weeks ago online. Been sat on my desk ever since.

Just opened the bag and they dont seem too dry, I can just about crush them in half with a pinch of my fingers so hoping they are still ok.

Your tips are very similar to what the destructions said and the advice on his website. Ill soak them now in fresh water and the missus can get me some vermiculite from B&Q tomorrow, they should have it yeah?

Was wondering, the fridge stage seems quite critical, reckon its worth splitting them in 2 or 3 different bags and putting them on different shelves to maximise the chances?

Hope you find an answer to yours, how old is the bottom one? Couple of years?

AogPY9h.jpg

The garden department should have vermiculite, think it's only about £3 for a 2ltr tub, lasts ages.

Yes the fridge stage is critical, they do have to be kept damp and around the 4 degree mark for the correct period of time, other wise they won't germinate.

I keep mine anywhere in the fridge, no need to separate and keep them different places.... just damp, cool and for the right amount of time.

The giant redwoods are the easiest to grow of the redwood family.

I think the bigger ones are about 18 month old, they grow pretty quick, soon out grow the small pots I set them off in.

ian

It could be vine weevil eating the roots.

Tip the compost out of a dead one and see if there's owt crawling around in there.

Vine weevil grubs are easy to spot, they are plenty big enough to see. Try google for images.

will dig the worst one up and check

many thanks for that

ian

Thats what i want to hear! Will report back with an outcome.

Best of luck with yours :thumbup1:

getting them to germinate is easy, keeping them alive can be a little tricky but it's awesome to see them grow, if you have a good place to plant them, knowing they will stand for 1000 years is pretty mad too.

put a thread up and let is know how you get on mate

ian