Newbie advice needed!

Swtoby

I'm new to the forum and would like to say hi!

My names Toby, I'm 24 and currently living in Sweden.

I know there has been many posts like this before but would like some advice for a newbie like myself.

I have recently decided to change career from a white water kayaking instructor to an arborist, the main reason being I felt I was loosing the love of paddling and need to do something new. I have always been interested in training as an arborist and finally plucked up the courage to pack the job in, get a loan, do some training and try and get a foot in the door. I'm not in it for money but more to have some fun and carry on working outdoors. As long as the work is more consistent than my old job I will be really happy!

I have booked my c1+trailer licence and also the 'business start up' course at Kingswood training which will give me some basic tickets (cs30,31,38,39) stump grinder, wood chipper and a business studies cert. I hope this will help get my foot in the door to start work as a trainee.

I'm pretty much out of money but whilst I'm taking the time to train I'm wondering if there's any other courses I should be considering?

Is there any advise that any of you have for someone in my situation or think I should do differently?

Also was thinking of investing in some basic gear, can't really afford it at this moment in time but is there anything I really must have if working for another company? Boots, gloves etc?

Like I said before I've got no clue and would just like some hints, tips and advise!

I know there's varying opinions on the fast track courses but I figured it would be best for me as I'm coming over from Sweden only for a short period and want to get into work ASAP!

Would be particularly interested to hear from anyone living in Sweden or Norway to let me know their experiences over here.

Cheers again and look forward to what you have to say!

Toby

Hi Toby

You sound as if you are really committed to this venture. If you are going to be working for a company as an employee, even as a trainee, you should have all your PPE supplied to you. There is no need to get yourself anything at the moment. Having said that you may be required to have chainsaw boots, trousers and climbing hard hat for your course. These are a good basic start, as any company offering you a trail day or days doesn't always have the resources to kit you out if you don't fit and don't end up working there.

We'd be happy to have you over for a few days as a trial. We give people the option to join us if they fit regardless of their historic job title. We have a professional nanny, a care worker, a hairdresser, CAD designer and gunner.

Email a suitable time for a trial and I'll ask our Office Manager and Ops Manager to liaise.

YOLO, LL

Paul

Cheers paul, will hold back on buying some basic gear!

Will see how things go after doing the training etc. will be looking for work in Norway or Sweden but if that doesn't go as planned will get in contact as I might move back to uk if it doesn't go well here.

Thanks again

Toby