troublesome mobile phone

I hate mobiles they never seem to last for me longer than 3 months.Got a htc wildfire touch screen keeps jamming up wont let you answer calls then it decides to do what it wants.Jumps from texts to calls rings people by its self.Brother has a I phone 4 it jams up too anybody else have bother or is it just us??

I'm an iPhone fan, but my little bro has just been over for the weekend and put an interesting spin on it.

A manager in a major branch of Carphone Warehouse recently explained to him that all the modern smartphones had a life expectancy of about 12 months, after which they generally shat themselves and started misbehaving.

My bro pointed out that they usually come on a 18 or 24 month contract.

The manager totally agreed with him, and admitted the amount they made through early upgrades was huge, but not his doing.

My 3GS does all I need, but the battery life is dying. Used to get 2 days, hard to get a day now (apps closed down).

Are we asking too much of a modern smartphone?

I reckon an iphone should be good for 2 years really. I had a very old 3G until the 4S came out and it was getting very slow with all the new software but I still got £100 for it on eBay. The batteries can be replaced quite cheaply and easilly despite what people tell you. My bruv put a new battery, back and screen on his 3Gs for a few quid and says it's like a new phone again. Me, I plan to flog my 4S when the 5 comes out. I bought it out-right and am on PAYG with 3 which gives me all I need. I reckon I'll lose £100-150 on the phone over the year and that is a bargain for what it does.

Pete, you want to get that to an Apple store as it's knacked. They will most likely give you a new one with no argument.

As for HTC / Android phones, I had a good few before switching to the evil that is Apple and got nothing but greif with them. Locking up, crashing, call problems, apps borking the phone and so on and so on. In the end I couldn't take it any more and sold out to the dark side. I'm no Apple fan boy but the simple fact is that iPhones are just brilliant and that's that. If you do get a dud, they will sort it for you. At the moment, nothing comes close.

Moved to the isle of mull nearly 3 years ago and put my mobile in a draw and never taken it out since. It takes a bit of doing but you can easily live without one, try it, it's a great feeling when you get used to it.

I had an iPhone 3g when they were new and never had any real problems with it, poor signal though. Occasionally no signal, had to remove wipe and replace the sim card as O2 said it was static build up; I have my doubts! My workmates had them as well and they had nothing but grief with locking up and call cut offs.

I'm convinced its the amount of cheap or free crappy apps they had, which I didn't.

I have had my HTC desire for nearly two years now and it hasn't missed a beat. The other thing I think can mess with phones is the fillings from chain sharpening.

I'll be sticking with HTC come upgrade time, I find them much more user friendly, and am not one for the vast amount of frankly pointless apps available on apple.