running aspen2 and re-tuning saws

Charlieh

Hi

Just a quick heads up, if people do switch over to aspen to try I have found in many of my saws they have required the carbs re setting (with a tacho!) to get them running to the best of their ability, most noticably this has been with the bigger saws and strimmers ie 372xp and bigger saws and on my clearing saws, the most noticable effect of swapping initally was the fact the saws would bog very severely if you opened the throttle wide quickly. I have spoken to AAoils about this and they suggested I put up a thread on the subject.

If you swap and expect equipment to run perfectly this may not be the case, I will add before everyone goes off on one about "oh well thats another thing to faff about with" that i have done it on all my saws and they run a lot better now for it, but I now run everything on aspen rather than swapping between that and normal mix. I would prefer if this could stay as a technical thread about running the fuel rather than degenerating into critising the product :thumbup:

Charlie

• Like 1

If aspen was to the same standard as petrol at the pump then there would be NO need to retune anything, if it need retuning to use a “fuel” that supposed to be the same as petrol at the pump (with or without 2-stroke oil added) then there must be something amiss with the product or its description :001_rolleyes:

If aspen was to the same standard as petrol at the pump then there would be NO need to retune anything, if it need retuning to use a “fuel” that supposed to be the same as petrol at the pump (with or without 2-stroke oil added) then there must be something amiss with the product or its description :001_rolleyes:

:dito:

Another reason why i wont be using it :001_rolleyes:

i think there is no reason why it should be an issue Stevie, but i have found in most of mine they run better after a re-tune, they would all run on it its not like they were spluttering and dying, but they did run better after being sorted, but then if people arent checking the settings on a regular basis it may not be that noticable, but because i have a tacho i check mine reasonably regularly and its not a problem for me to do.

Hi

Just a quick heads up, if people do switch over to aspen to try I have found in many of my saws they have required the carbs re setting (with a tacho!) to get them running to the best of their ability, most noticably this has been with the bigger saws and strimmers ie 372xp and bigger saws and on my clearing saws, the most noticable effect of swapping initally was the fact the saws would bog very severely if you opened the throttle wide quickly. I have spoken to AAoils about this and they suggested I put up a thread on the subject.

If you swap and expect equipment to run perfectly this may not be the case, I will add before everyone goes off on one about "oh well thats another thing to faff about with" that i have done it on all my saws and they run a lot better now for it, but I now run everything on aspen rather than swapping between that and normal mix. I would prefer if this could stay as a technical thread about running the fuel rather than degenerating into critising the product :thumbup:

Charlie

I think a general recommendation to open the “L”-jet 1/8 of a turn, if you experience bad throttle response, would reduce the trial and error time when setting the carburettor. In Sweden the dealer often starts a new saw with Aspen and makes the adjustment at delivery.

It is not unusual that you need to open the “L” jet a little bit to improve engine response, when you change to Aspen. Normally this is enough and you can leave the main jet as it is. I haven´t heard about people needing a tacho to do the adjustment. Remember that normal petrol will change when the EU directive on ethanol is implemented and this will probably have a more significant effect on performance than switching to Aspen. The advantage with Aspen is that once you have adjusted the machine you will never have to change the setting again, since difference from batch to batch is minute. Also, less deposit build-up, will keep the engine more stable over time with Aspen. One strange thing though, is that in our experience you normally have more trouble with adjusting small and cheap engines, than you have the ones mentioned below.

• Like 1

can someone from aspen explain this one as i am trying it out on monday, cheers

Due to the fact that Aspen does not contain any aromatics (solvents) the initial dispersing of fuel into the air in the carburettor is weaker resulting in a tweak of the low speed jet with approximately ¼ turn richer. Once at full speed Aspen should, although being less dense, run on the same (or very close to) high speed jetting. This will of course alter slightly between equipment. As Aspen contains no double bonded hydrocarbons (another word for Aromatics) the saturated hydrocarbons in Aspen break easier in the combustion process and therefore bond easier with the oxygen molecules hence the ability to run “leaner” at top end without loosing power compared to a aromatic rich pump fuel.