Common Alder Help please

Common Alder

Question

Hi,

There are 2 Common Alder at the front of my house, one is on my property and the other in the back garden of a neighbour. Both trees are subject to a TPO.

They affect the neighbours garden more than mine and he applied for consent to carry out the following work

: Crown Lift to 4metres; Thin Crown by 20%; Reduce width by 1-1.1.5 m all round; Reduce height by upto 3 m (the specification was applied to the 2 trees as one crown) The consent was granted in October 2013 with the usual conditions and guidance that the work should be carried out to both trees at the same time. The work was carried out in February 2014. I thought it neighbourly to permit the work to my tree, the neighbour instructed the tree surgeon.

The trees have a girth of about 1.90 M and DBH of about 68 cms.

The trees, have produced numerous water sprouts/shoots, and my questions are related to the future care of the trees, given their situation within 10m of 3 properties

1. Will these shoots become weak branches? Or will they grow as strong as the previous branches (pictures attached)

2. Will the energy required to produce these numerous shoots weaken the trees usual defences against disease etc.

3. Having now read some info about Common Alder, would the water shoot /epicormic./ new shoot growth be considered a disadvantage? Or what are the disadvantages associated with this type of work(if any)? Would this have been explained to my neighbour?

4. I noticed recently the bark at the bottom of the tree seemed damp and blackened, underneath the outer bark, the bark is a reddish colour, is this normal? (pictures attached)

5. There is also this black stuff –( picture attached)

6. In the last week I have noticed this hole? It appears fresh, would this be a woodpecker or something else? (picture attached)

7. What age do Alders reach maturity? that is when would growth be expected to slow down? I realise there is no definitive answer to this but some sort of approx. age would be great.

Apologies, if these questions seem basic I know very little about trees! would appreciate any help. If any Arb consultants are based nearby please provide a quote to take a closer look at trees.

59766ed6a454e_redbarkclose.jpg.8b187ecf34efa3b70e559c6e91db0025.jpg

59766ed6a12fc_holeintree.jpg.397f246475cecd417dcc095ae251f9cc.jpg

59766ed69fa73_blackstripeuptree.jpg.02e72e051d4deaa1f90b661f1cf688d3.jpg

59766ed69d8b7_blackstuff.jpg.767f1eb8b1e8e8b29f7b9eece2f3dfe3.jpg

59766ed69bbb3_newshoots2.jpg.db833a26a0b3a8d1357e07aefcab4588.jpg

9 answers to this question

Hi elspedo

Thanks for your response. I took another look, more like soot or soil but some bark is brittle. I have attached a few more pics of where bark snapped off easily and some fungi on ground, they were also some wood lice under the outer bark. This maybe completely normal as I say I am a complete novice. Any responses greatly appreciated

Fungi.jpg.61552be4b9ac8e8bddaf76b24a6d0ed7.jpg

59766edd5bf35_blackenedbark.jpg.03eddfbc48f518c4690e34a9d09ffce4.jpg

59766edd5a864_underouterbark1.jpg.a7fadde2907034a3575b7ed1c69ce885.jpg

59766edd56920_underouterbark.jpg.071c4f8cd4d989e61b7e051164fbb33f.jpg

That's too many questions for anyone to give a meaningful written reply. Looks like bleeding cankers, could be anything from minor short-term to serious long term, but no way of knowing even from a 100 pictures.

Maybe you need a consultation, someone to have a proper look then spend a while answering your questions then summarise the answers in writing. You'd best say where you are if you want quotes.

Phytophthora (phytophthora x cambivora) causes bark to die and tar spots like in these images but that is usually caused by severe drought

As daltontrees says though it's hard to tell from the images and it look like a combination of things to me, you're best finding someone close to you to come check it out in person that can have a proper look.

Thanks

Thank you for your responses. Think I got carried away with the questions as I really don't know the important questions to ask. It seems you are agreed that the red/brown under the bark is not normal and may or may not be serious.

Would appreciate anyone nearby providing quote to come have a look

The black exudate is most likely phytophthera alni, alders don't get kretzschmaria deusta and doesn't look like that in the early stages. The epicormic diverts energy and nutrients and can look unsightly but isn't the end of the world for the health of the tree