stopping water flow across concrete floor

Dean O

Long shot but thought I'd ask...

Water runs down the wall of our steel shed, gets to the concrete base then flows into the shed.

the walls should overlap the plinth so the water never gets chance to get in - but they don't on this side of the shed due to a measuring mishap and some bulging shuttering :blushing:.

I cant change the width of the shed, Id thought of chamfering the plinth, but I cant think of a quick way of doing this that would leave a good finish.

I had put a bead of sealant around the inside and outside, this helped but not completely.

I felt that while stopping some water getting in, it might also be stopping it getting back out too, so I pulled it all off and put a new length of silicone sealant along the floor, an inch or two inside the wall to act as a dam.

it didn't work, and is worse than ever, not sure if it didn't cure before getting wet, hasn't bonded to the painted, concrete floor (or other?)

any one know of a product like a self adhesive rubber, waterproof weather strip, or whether an alternative sealant might work better?

thanks in advance.

Isoflex may do the job or Aquapol, but not sure if that is still available, another that may do it is Thompsons roof seal.

Trouble is with those types of stuff is movement eventually gets the better of them and you have to do it again several times before it works.

Stika may also do something, their technical crew normally have something that sticks and seals to anything

Its more rain running down the outside of the wall then travelling in, but the length of guttering's a good idea as it would still work, unfortunately Id have to make the gap bellow the wall sheets bigger, which seems counter productive.

Scraggs - as you say - The walls move about in heavy wind, not much but enough to pop the bond between the sealant and the concrete, this was the thinking behind not trying to seal the wall gap and instead using a 'dam' approach a little further in.

looking at Sika sealants.... 'Sikaflex 291i Marine Adhesive & Sealant' might be the one to go for?

Tiger seal's got good review too, thanks David

Scraggs - as you say - The walls move about in heavy wind, not much but enough to pop the bond between the sealant and the concrete, this was the thinking behind not trying to seal the wall gap and instead using a 'dam' approach a little further in.

looking at Sika sealants.... 'Sikaflex 291i Marine Adhesive & Sealant' might be the one to go for?

Tiger seal's got good review too, thanks David

Phone their tech dept and tell them exactly what you need to do, they have a pretty good knowledge of their stuff.

They gave us a setup for sticking and sealing fibreglass sheets to steel and the only way to get them apart was to break them.

Bolt a piece of angle to the floor inside the shed then fill down the back of it with expanding foam or rivet a drip strip to the outside of the wall to channel the water further out than the base. Fasten something sealed to the bottom of the outside to run the water off the plinth anything to stop the water getting to the join at the bottom of the wall as capillary action will drag it in.