Buying fuel in bulk

simonm

Which fuel are you wishing to buy?

Petrol requires a LOT of certification (and underground storage).

Red/White diesel just buy a tank and install it (it must be double bunded if near a watercourse).

Make it thief resistant!!

Pricing is not amazingly different from the pump, I would suggest around 4p/l less. The larger your order the more you could possibly save.

I looked in to it. Max you can store per tank without bunding and more regs is 1000ltrs.

As said not a great price difference because you need to buy the hardware to store and dispense it. Modern diesel does not have a recommended shelf life of much over a year.

You can lose it through a leak or stealing. It can become contaminated in storage which needs additive to treat it. When you store it your liable, when you buy it from pump you have more comeback.

I have worked for haulier sthat buy 10,000ltrs a week for 2 per ltr less than forecourt price. (depends on current market)

The way to get it cheaper is group buying in a locality. Then it all gets delivered in a small area saving the supplier haulage costs. I would only bother with red diesel personally.

Best way for road diesel I have found is on a fuelcard, I pay about 2ppl less than pump, we now use a firm called BWOC, and get a text friday night with next weeks prices.

I wouldn't want to store road derv through fear of it getting stolen just to save 4ppl over pump price

From personal experience, comparing my fuel cards price to that of a haulier buying in bulk, the is next to no difference some weeks slightly more, some slightly less. Saying that sometimes pump price comes close if super markets start a war between them selves.

As said, paper work, and security swing it for me with cards.

If you get a card try and get more than one, and from different company's so to keep them on their toes, price wise, they can get carried away with you using one card week in week out.