anderson connectors to tipper trailer

Dean O

has any one linked their tow vehicle to a tipper trailer by way of an Anderson connector.

we use our tt85 so infrequently that every time I return to it the battery is flat.

I appreciate a new battery would probably help but thought this might be a good way round it??

any one know what ampage rated connector would be appropriate for this application?

thanks

Dean

has any one linked their tow vehicle to a tipper trailer by way of an Anderson connector.

we use our tt85 so infrequently that every time I return to it the battery is flat.

I appreciate a new battery would probably help but thought this might be a good way round it??

any one know what ampage rated connector would be appropriate for this application?

thanks

Dean

you need a twin socket electrics on your towbar, similar to the caravan coupling. It trickle charges the battery as you go. I looked into it, and it was quite expensive.

thanks

Dean

A lot of Diesel Bowsers are going down the small Solar Panel route to ensure the battery is always tip top when required. It may be worth a look into as I would think they're pretty inexpensive now and easy enough to wire in.

Eddie.

thanks guys

Id considered a trickle charger - but its the periods of inactivity on the battery causing the problems I think

The solar panel idea is a good one, I'd have it so that I could un plug it when the trailers in use as its bound to loose its efficiency being covered with chip dust (which seems to get everywhere somehow) and muck... or just plain broken.

The only draw back of the Anderson connector idea - I had thought of is that unless I carry out the fitment to all of the vehicles it ties the trailer to one of the trucks for its use.....

We have just wired in a connector for the same purpose on my defender.What we did was to run some good thick wire up the chassis into the battery box then put a good inline fuse(A big one not normal car rubbish Agricutural spec) Then we used a caravan connector on the back which i made a bracket for.I just connect it to tip the trailer with the engine running and so far it has been great.The battery option is a waste of time in my opinion.The wiring and connectors came to about £30 so cheap and works!!!

We have just wired in a connector for the same purpose on my defender.What we did was to run some good thick wire up the chassis into the battery box then put a good inline fuse(A big one not normal car rubbish Agricutural spec) Then we used a caravan connector on the back which i made a bracket for.I just connect it to tip the trailer with the engine running and so far it has been great.The battery option is a waste of time in my opinion.The wiring and connectors came to about £30 so cheap and works!!!

12v Volt Solar Panel Power Camper Motorhome Car Caravan Battery Trickle Charger | eBay

Hardly a major hassle/investment?

Eddie.

iv wired my with anderson sockets on my 2014 ford ranger and my ifor williams tt105.

Took a supply from battery but used a isolated switch to which means when if my trailer sits still and gets flat battery I can hitch it up, connect aderson plugs up and have power straight away with the flick of a switch. Also if you use tipper trailers ( loads) in a day and the battery does go flat and you use a tow bar s7 socket (grey one) then sometime it can overload the wires on the vehicle and fry them ( mostly common on the land disco) again why its better to run a anderson point over the s7 socket. but if you do use and the trailer enough to keep it plugged in to the s7 then it will keep topping it up enough for you not to worry about flattening the battery on the trailer.

Hope this helps and makes sense. If you want il get some pics tomorrow for you.??

I use these,http://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/products/faithfull-32a-plug-110v?utm_medium=google_shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQiA8MSkBRCP5LaRlcOAusMBEiQAiqldkuSVk0k145ekZvejRIh5pgAWbI6ZjoK6lG8E1ogeYQwaAj548P8HAQ

and a heavy wire, they can handle a lot of current which the tipper will draw. If you have a weak battery on the trailer it will draw current from the car and that can melt a lesser wire / plug.

Tom D - have you gone for that sort of plug because of melting other plugs?

I was thinking the shape of the Anderson would mean I could tuck it away neatly on top of the rear cross member (tho a minor consideration)

I was planning on getting rid of the trailer battery rather than going down the route of trickle charger. I think a trickle would do the job if I was using it frequently, but this isn't the case, and when used might be required to tip once or twice in a day to tip logs from a job.

what sort of heavy wire do you use, I was looking at 35mm2 battery wire with a 75 amp connector

electrics is something I just don't get.

Eddie - its amazing how cheap solar is now.

Tommy 7840 - to save me getting the measuring tape out - was this on a 110 what lengths of wire did you require, and what wire did you use?

Thanks

Dean