List of trees by introduction date?

APC

Has anyone got a link to list of trees ordered by year of introduction, by any chance? I don't recall ever seeing one before and I'm unsure whether there's much point in one even existing but I'm feeling lazy. I would just like to go "oh 1850 here's a list of trees" rather than flick through Kew's list or my Collins book.

Believe the Romans were responsible for introduction of some trees from the near continent when they invaded.

So...... Sycamore and Sweet Chestnut circa pre 100 A.D. as a starter if this helps...... :001_smile:

...or since the 1600s - Preston, Pearman & Dines (2002). :flute:

The author mentioned above (Clive Mayhew) also wrote a paper on using various clues to infer introduction dates in the field.

Mayhew, C. (2009) A technique to help arboriculturists understand the sequential nature of tree introductions into historic landscapes. Arboricultural Journal: The International Journal of Urban Forestry. Volume 32, Issue 1, 2009

He identifies eleven distinct periods of introduction based on on the timeline of discovery, exploration and trade with the rest of the world by europeans. So for example the arrival of antipodean species such as Cordyline australis correpond with a period started by the return of Joseph Banks & Captain Cook from the southern hemisphere approximately between 1772 - 1820 (Mayhew's period 7). It couldn't have got here any earlier because no-one (no-thing) had had the capacity or willing to bring plants back from that distance before.

So if you know the regional origin of a species and also when that region was discovered / explored / pillaged then you can have a pretty good guess of the timeline of introduction.