Brushcutter Coil?

mikerecike

Hi folks

Kawasaki KT17 no spark - but a get a minor belt if i hold plug and pull on recoil.

First question - is this electronic or points under the flywheel - is there a simple way to tell?

Second: Can the coil fail in this way so that you just get an unpleasant tingle and not a spark?

Third:the coil is marked/coded MR370251 - haven't had even a sniff of luck trying to track one down on the interweb - any recommended suppliers?

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture5815-20121206-144443-1.jpg

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture5811-20121206-144200-1.jpg

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture5813-20121206-144335-1.jpg

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture5816-20121206-144450-1.jpg

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture5812-20121206-144213-1.jpg

Wow, thats an old one.

I dont have any experience of this model, but would have thought its electronic ign. If it has points you will find wires coming from behind the flywheel to the coil. If it only has the wires from on/off switch to earth then it is electronic.

TBH, if the coils shot I would not encourage the customer to repair, even if the coil is available, as its is likely to be £60 to £80. Add labour to this and it gets pricey, and its still an old machine likely to fail again soon.

Wow, thats an old one.

I dont have any experience of this model, but would have thought its electronic ign. If it has points you will find wires coming from behind the flywheel to the coil. If it only has the wires from on/off switch to earth then it is electronic.

TBH, if the coils shot I would not encourage the customer to repair, even if the coil is available, as its is likely to be £60 to £80. Add labour to this and it gets pricey, and its still an old machine likely to fail again soon.

Thanks Barrie

Had another shufty and found the wire coming from behind the flywheel (i do need to wear my glasses)- removed flywheel, found points box, opened up, cleaned points and re-fitted.

Pulled over - great spark - had carb off and cleaned - had it fired up - what a powerful strimmer - well pleased - just need to work out how to set the idle with the barrel carb and nuts on top.

Thanks for your help

Mike

Easy to change to electronic ignition just fit a nova or sic1 chip to the case no more points to worry about . Just cut the wire to the points attach it to the nova screw the nova or sic1 to the strimmer all finished.

I just converted a kt12 worked a treat

if you do fit the nova it has 2 contacts 1 neg 1 pos one lead go's to earth if you get no spark just swap the leads over

hope this helps

bill

Easy to change to electronic ignition just fit a nova or sic1 chip to the case no more points to worry about . Just cut the wire to the points attach it to the nova screw the nova or sic1 to the strimmer all finished.

I just converted a kt12 worked a treat

if you do fit the nova it has 2 contacts 1 neg 1 pos one lead go's to earth if you get no spark just swap the leads over

hope this helps

bill

Thanks Bill

Where do you get this chip?

cheers

Mike