VT vs Distel

Mark Wileman

Good evening!

I picked up an eye to eye the other day to use as part of my hitchclimber setup, I got a 10mm 70cm one as I read somewhere that it was a good size, they must have been talking about an 8mm one or to be used on an 11.5 rope (I'm using 13).

It's not long enough for a VT but I can just about get a Distel tied with it, what are the differences/pros and cons between the two knots?

I've had a little climb on the distel and it seems to work just fine, but then I've not used a VT enough to compare it with.. should I pick up a longer eye to eye or is the distel well used and effective?

Ive had some experience with the hc setup and i ended up using a knut,its similar to the distel so your eye to eye should be long enough.I found the distel would bite hard,i was using malow hitch cord so it could be that was the issue.The vt takes a bit more tending in my experience but u could do a vt just with less braids if your cord isnt long enough.Hitch climber does take a bit of faffing around to match cord to the rope you are using.

I started using the zigzag after a couple of weeks on hitch climber and quickly stopped using it in favour of the zigzag

Thanks guys, I'm going to have a better play with it today.

I do like how compact the Distel stays compared to the VT, I find that for every full thrust/footlock on a VT I sagged back down about 10 cm (due to it's makeup), but the Distel binds right away.

I was thinking of a 3 wrap VT, just assumed that it would'nt bite as well as the 4 wrap, I'm 6ft 4 and 16 stone, prussicks tend slightly for me when I don't want them to so... :P

Thanks guys, I'm going to have a better play with it today.

I do like how compact the Distel stays compared to the VT, I find that for every full thrust/footlock on a VT I sagged back down about 10 cm (due to it's makeup), but the Distel binds right away.

I was thinking of a 3 wrap VT, just assumed that it would'nt bite as well as the 4 wrap, I'm 6ft 4 and 16 stone, prussicks tend slightly for me when I don't want them to so... :P

Yeah u will get a good bit of sit back with the VT but playing around with wraps and braids should get you to perfect your own setup.

Once your setup is right its a beautiful thing.

If you get a chance try the zigzag....fantastic piece of kit

What's peoples ideal ocean polyester setup to use with 13mm rope? I got a length of 10mm o.p which I tried (for first time) with a vt on a hitch climber. Soon got hacked off with it and just used it as a prussock, but would like to get this sorted. Don't climb with enough other folk who use them to get help with it.

Sent from my C6603 using Arbtalk mobile app

What's peoples ideal ocean polyester setup to use with 13mm rope? I got a length of 10mm o.p which I tried (for first time) with a vt on a hitch climber. Soon got hacked off with it and just used it as a prussock, but would like to get this sorted. Don't climb with enough other folk who use them to get help with it.

Sent from my C6603 using Arbtalk mobile app

Have you tried marlow boa ? I found it too be good but a little too graby at times.Ive been told Teufelberger eye to eyes are decent but ive little experience with them personally