Gassing rabbits....

Tom10

Hi all,

Not entirely sure if this is the right thread but hopefully some farmer types will ready this and help...

Got a long hedge of rabbits to gas - I am trained and certified and have bought Phostoxin and a Topex applicator ready to go...

Trouble is - I dont the course 3 years ago and am a bit rusty :blushing:

Obviously its a no no in the rain, and always be upwind to the gas... but HSE publications say wear a ''full face gas mask''

Im sure on my course we just stood upwind and didnt do stupid stuff like eat it... is a mask really needed? or HSE covering their backs?

Look forward to replies.

Tom.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Not entirely sure if this is the right thread but hopefully some farmer types will ready this and help...

Got a long hedge of rabbits to gas - I am trained and certified and have bought Phostoxin and a Topex applicator ready to go...

Trouble is - I dont the course 3 years ago and am a bit rusty :blushing:

Obviously its a no no in the rain, and always be upwind to the gas... but HSE publications say wear a ''full face gas mask''

Im sure on my course we just stood upwind and didnt do stupid stuff like eat it... is a mask really needed? or HSE covering their backs?

Look forward to replies.

Tom.

A few years back, I did a rabbit gassing job under some Rhodies, lots of crawling about on hands and knees, should of been wearing a full face mask, (which I had), but was'nt wearing. Took me all afternoon, finished went home, could'nt eat my tea, felt extremely nauseous, headache, went to bed at 7pm and slept the sleep of the dead. When telling this to someone else a few weeks later he told me a story of someone who had done exactly the same sort of thing, but he never woke up. I have never used phostoxin since and never will. Your call, but you cannot be to careful with the stuff.

Out of curiosity I've looked up phostoxin on Wikipedia and followed one of the links in the text to phosphine, which is released when phostoxin comes into contact with moisture (e.g. in air or respiratory tract). I recommend the reading: I'd be wanting a full face mask.

Cousin Jack, the symptoms you suffered I think can be explained by the same text (re phosphine).

Out of curiosity I've looked up phostoxin on Wikipedia and followed one of the links in the text to phosphine, which is released when phostoxin comes into contact with moisture (e.g. in air or respiratory tract). I recommend the reading: I'd be wanting a full face mask.

Cousin Jack, the symptoms you suffered I think can be explained by the same text (re phosphine).

No doubt about it, I had a very lucky escape. As I said, I will never use it again. Cymag was a far better product to use, IMO

I wouldn't ferret this time of year, there will be too many young about.

I suppose they would fill themselves up and never come out ? When I was a kid I had a polecat cross Gill . She was more of a pet than a worker . She used to sit on my shoulder when I walked about .

No doubt about it, I had a very lucky escape. As I said, I will never use it again. Cymag was a far better product to use, IMO

Really one of my mates got cymag poisoning, i dont think he would agree, he was critical for a couple of weeks. Phostoxin is far far safer than cymag