Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arborist Apps Support Forum
This is a general support forum for users of the Arbtalk Arborist Apps. Visit us at www.arboristapps.co.uk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-12   #1 (permalink)

Australian fungi in app?

Hi, just wondering if there's any point in getting this app if I live in Australia or does it just list fungi found in UK? Thanks
Old 08-05-12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Australian fungi in app?

Hi Astrid, We aim to include more countries in the app. As it stands their locations are mostly listed as europe or america, but thats not to say that many of the fungi in the app arent prevalant in Australia....but the simple answer is I can't tell you...but I know a man who can and he will likely be along to answer your question shortly!!

In the meantime feel free to browse through the online version which contains most of the fungi that are included in the app.

Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists Fungi Directory
Old 08-05-12   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Steve - I wil keep checking back and look at the online directory.
Astrid
Old 08-05-12   #4 (permalink)

oh, also - does the info have edibility status of mushrooms? thanks, astrid
Old 08-05-12   #5 (permalink)

No, this was something we decided wasnt in our remit. Some that are poisonous are listed as such but thats as far as we wanted to get involved for liability reasons
Old 09-05-12   #6 (permalink)

I really really like the app and think all those envolved in creating it should be very proud of what they have achieved.

As for Aussie fungi Astrid from my own efforts to learn more about the mycology in just one state (QLD) I have learnt that only 5% of the species in our continent have been named past Genus level. There are some major problems with the taxonomy of our fungi (all groups) these are serious obsticles to developing any kind of key let alone one like the recently released app.

Frustratingly we have quite good knowledge about very specific fungi (not surprisingly those impacting commercial crops including tree crops) such as some of our rusts and smuts, but even our macrofungi are nowhere near as well researched as those in the UK or Northern Europe.

For Arborists there are a number of us who are trying to develop a simple guide/ID for the most common wood decay fungi that we come across in the urban and periurban environment, this is something we are trying to develop with help from our professional organisations and allied scientific groups and researchers but it is a slow process.

Last edited by sean freeman; 09-05-12 at 11:16 AM..
Old 09-05-12   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Sean!

I have been speaking to David about this and he is currently researching the subject, but at present believes he is up to approx 20-30% of the fungi in the app being found in Australia. Would you agree with this based on what you have seen in the app?
Old 09-05-12   #8 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2013, 2014, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean freeman View Post
I really really like the app and think all those envolved in creating it should be very proud of what they have achieved.

As for Aussie fungi Astrid from my own efforts to learn more about the mycology in just one state (QLD) I have learnt that only 5% of the species in our continent have been named past Genus level. There are some major problems with the taxonomy of our fungi (all groups) these are serious obsticles to developing any kind of key let alone one like the recently released app.

Frustratingly we have quite good knowledge about very specific fungi (not surprisingly those impacting commercial crops including tree crops) such as some of our rusts and smuts, but even our macrofungi are nowhere near as well researched as those in the UK or Northern Europe.

For Arborists there are a number of us who are trying to develop a simple guide/ID for the most common wood decay fungi that we come across in the urban and periurban environment, this is something we are trying to develop with help from our professional organisations and allied scientific groups and researchers but it is a slow process.

Thanks Sean,

My reference materials are all european & north american based

Of the 92 galleries (current numbers, which will periodically be updated with new fungi galleries) I have found 25 of these specifically referenced as being found in Australia.

There may be more but I've struggled to find a comprehensive list of Australian fungi

Any pointers in that direction would be greatly appreciated, and may even be rewarded by a pint or three of some fine warm suffolk ale one day

regards

David

"
William Blake

david.humphries@cityoflondon.gov.uk

mycoappman@gmail.com

Fungal diversity
Old 09-05-12   #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Steve Bullman;
I have been speaking to David about this and he is currently researching the subject, but at present believes he is up to approx 20-30% of the fungi in the app being found in Australia. Would you agree with this based on what you have seen in the app?[/QUOTE]

I think there are probably around that many yes, they do tend to be the temperate ones not the subtropical species, living in the sub tropics and having lived for 20+yrs in the tropics I'm a bit biased that way!

It was really interesting walking through sub-tropical rainforests with Jill and Ted, Andrew Cowan and David L..hearing Ted trying to ID brackets and naming them after Nth Hemisphere temperates (I felt some were incorrect but Ted can be insistant about certain things). BTW...Not knocking Ted at all I have enjoyed reading his writings and watching his presentations I am NOT a 'flat earth Arb'.

Recently in Tasmania even my very simple Collins Complete guide to British Mushrooms and Toadstools was a very useful resource..has no signal in the parts I was visiting so did not try the app.

I don't know if any of the Victorian Arbs have the app to try out I will ask via the myco groups (Fungi Map) and see what response comes back.
Old 09-05-12   #10 (permalink)

No need for a signal to use the App Sean