Why pickups?

theNakedApiarist

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all.

Can I ask why pickups are so popular amongst tree workers? Is it about having four wheel drive? How often do you use it?

Ta

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

More reliable than a land rover which is better in most other areas maybe?

I have one for my gardening and it's rubbish off road they tyres would need to be changed to make it any good.

I honestly don't know.

I used to have a Navara, which was awful. Crap on fuel, uncomfortable, cramped, couldn't carry much, didn't tow well and was terribly unreliable. Pretty good off road though, I'll admit.

I now have a Citroen relay van. 26k trouble free miles (34k on clock). I can carry a tracked chipper in the back, it's quiet, much more comfortable, more spacious, better on fuel and tows brilliantly (albeit slowly, with only 130hp). Not great off road but new one next month with 'all road' kit should be better.

I think if van manufacturers were more switched on to 4x4 vans, we'd leave the pickups behind. You don't see many on the continent at all - they are only popular here due to the tax incentives.

I honestly don't know.

I used to have a Navara, which was awful. Crap on fuel, uncomfortable, cramped, couldn't carry much, didn't tow well and was terribly unreliable. Pretty good off road though, I'll admit.

I now have a Citroen relay van. 26k trouble free miles (34k on clock). I can carry a tracked chipper in the back, it's quiet, much more comfortable, more spacious, better on fuel and tows brilliantly (albeit slowly, with only 130hp). Not great off road but new one next month with 'all road' kit should be better.

I think if van manufacturers were more switched on to 4x4 vans, we'd leave the pickups behind. You don't see many on the continent at all - they are only popular here due to the tax incentives.

Which year navara did you have?

My experience has been the opposite to you. Off road crap the rest I like.

But I'm not as tall as you !

Which year navara did you have?

My experience has been the opposite to you. Off road crap the rest I like.

But I'm not as tall as you !

2011. It broke down again not long after I sold it too.

I always had BF Goodrich A/T tyres on it, and I'm reasonably competent off road. The one and only time I got stuck in it was entirely my own fault.

The van is mostly rubbish off road, though good in the snow. I got stuck on my front lawn (which is admittedly quite soft after rain) earlier in the week in the van and had to tow myself out! I would have gotten out fine had it not been for trying to reverse the trailer off the lawn.

Anyway, more 4x4 vans please van manufacturers!

Pickups are popular with those that often have smallish loads, which are dirty, loose or over sized. Try carrying gravel or wet soil or sand in a van or SUV and you can kiss goodbye to paintwork and a re-saleable interior, plus welcome in rust and a musty smell. 4wd is an added extra, (when it's available) and given the rights tyres. Generally the big downside of pickups, is that the ride is only good with a load in the back. Empty they're like driving a motorised pogo stick.

We have pick ups to carry tools like saws and petrol cans that you don't want inside the cabin. A "dirty" area if you like. Plus you an carry logs and a bit of brush if needs must.

The 4wd is good for reversing heavy trailers, and off road of course. They are tax and vat deductible.

And they're cool of course