Small Timber Lorries

Dave177

I know there are a few threads bouncing around at the moment about people looking into their first lorries etc.

We have around 1000T of Ash firewood to come out of a site over 2 years, access to the woodland is problematic and the owner has agreed with the residents to not use full size timber lorries so we cannot have arctic's or wagon and drag on site.

Does anyone run smaller lorries than the above in the south east for timber haulage, as finding someone who did would solve a lot of the problems?

Secondly what sort of size and weight vehicle would be recommended, in an ideal world being able to fit 2 bunks of 3m on, with a payload of 12t ish? Having a crane would be useful but we could load with the forwarder and unload with the 360 at the other end if weight limits would be getting close.

Finally can someone give me a rough idea of running costs per mile/per year etc for a rig like this as i'm just guessing numbers really.

Thanks in advance

Ideal job for an 8 wheeler, but they're a rare breed now.

Easiest way would be a 26 tonne 6 wheel, ideally 6x4 with a flat or drop side body. Put some bolsters on and your good to go. Payload somewhere in the 14-15 tonne range.

Running costs aren't much more than running a light commercial really.

We have around 1000T of Ash firewood to come out of a site over 2 years, access to the woodland is problematic and the owner has agreed with the residents to not use full size timber lorries so we cannot have arctic's or wagon and drag on site.

Cant help with the transport problem except to point out to the residents, the blindingly obvious point that smaller vehicles means more movements, pollution etc.

Thanks for the replies, spoke to the only guy I know with a wagon and drag and he wouldnt fit 2 bays of 3m on because of his crane location.

Muttley Ill you for his number as that could be the ideal solution.

Ill take a look at the options for a 26t gvw rigid. If I were to source a flatbed one woul it be suitable for moving plant on with seperate ramps or would it be too unstable. Thinking tractors or 8t -13t 360's?

The residents have requested smaller lorries with more trips in and out.

Peter any makes or models to look out for, I know very little about HGV's? Just browsing the internet there seems to be a lot of 6x4 26t tonners avaliable so that makes it a bit better option. What is the biggest size you can have on 4 wheels?

Would it not be worth getting it out of there with tractor and trailer to a site where you can stack with a view to collect with a timber truck when there is a full load ready ? When we use our ten tonner to move cord we cut at 2.5 and load it sideways on the truck to save faffing about with bolsters.

Bob

Its a bit steep for the tractor and trailer so will be a job for the purpose built.

I have though about crossloading it and using a tractor and trailer to run the wood out but in reality to make it worthwhile it needs to be a decent size tractor and trailer, sort of negating the point in having a smaller set up.

I know none of the options are brilliant, just trying to find out the least bad