Old axe

cornish wood burner

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's roughly a Kent pattern or side axe type pattern axe - for a carpenter's kit at a guess. If it has Turner stamped on it, John Turner became I and H Sorby. There was another, Joseph Turner, who became Sorby and Turner. Late 1850s to 70s, I'd say. For a good clean leave it in a 50 50 mix of linseed oil and diesel and it will come up a dream.

I would agree with close to Kent pattern but carpenters' axes usually have the blade straight across and side axes are also known as broad axes and the clue is in the name. I reckon it's just a light hatchet for general duties.

The best cleaning method is electrolytic followed by a wire brush and good dose of oil, but failing that just wire brushing will do it - I would keep away from the sander if you want a decent look as shiny patches mixed with pitting is likely to be the result.

Alec

Alec

If it has a thin blade, it's not a side axe, as they have a heavy thick blade with a bevel on one side and the body of the axe is slightly offset to the eye. You can get a broad axe with a bevel on both sides, but it's a heavy old thing and four an a half pounds is normal, plus the blade is much wider, unless it's a mast makers axe, which yours isn't.

3lb kent sounds about right. It'd make a nice hedge laying axe though.

I agree with the others. It's one of the extremely rare Turner & Co. Kent pattern axes made in the later part of 1853. Very collectable, especially by very wealthy Russian collectors. One very similar to yours, but in original used condition, made £473,000 at Sothebys last year. Unfortunately because you've put the sander over yours, it's only worth a fiver. Never mind, I'm sure that you'll get a lot of enjoyment using it in the wood shed.