Redwood and customers !

Andyd1606

I guess this post is more of a rant than advice but here goes. I went and looked at a beautiful redwood tree in my local village. It's a landmark and is seen as your coming up to the green from most directions.

The tree is believed to have been one of the first planted in the UK although not the tallest. It was planted by an army major who lived at the house in the 1850s and was measured 5 years ago at 101ft and he a girth of 7.75m.

The customer has asked me to have a look and gave the usual it has grown so big in the last year!! What's wrong with these people did they not notice the size of the tree when they bought the house it's been the same size give or take a bit since I've lived in the village the last few years.

I was asked my opinion on what should be done with the tree and I have advised removing the deadwood thinning in places to help windflow and tidying up several low branches that over hang the roof which their chimney sweep hacked away!

I've had a chat with my local tree officer about my proposals as its inside a conservation area and then spoke with the customers.

The customer has now decided that they want 10ft off the top and more branches shortened which in my opinion is pointless and will ruin the tree. I've told them this and that we would not be allowed anyway due to the conservation area.

I'm not willing to carry out this as I'm fed up with customers asking me to carry out substandard work to their trees. I have walked away from more customers this last year who have asked similar things only to drive past and see butchered trees 2 months later.

What concerns me is that this will happen to this redwood and it will be ruined by someone.

I'd love to carry out my original proposals to the tree as it would be a pleasure to work on and a great climb it just annoys me that customers don't listen to best advice they wouldn't do this to an electrician or plumber.

Sorry rant over now

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess this post is more of a rant than advice but here goes. I went and looked at a beautiful redwood tree in my local village. It's a landmark and is seen as your coming up to the green from most directions.

The tree is believed to have been one of the first planted in the UK although not the tallest. It was planted by an army major who lived at the house in the 1850s and was measured 5 years ago at 101ft and he a girth of 7.75m.

The customer has asked me to have a look and gave the usual it has grown so big in the last year!! What's wrong with these people did they not notice the size of the tree when they bought the house it's been the same size give or take a bit since I've lived in the village the last few years.

I was asked my opinion on what should be done with the tree and I have advised removing the deadwood thinning in places to help windflow and tidying up several low branches that over hang the roof which their chimney sweep hacked away!

I've had a chat with my local tree officer about my proposals as its inside a conservation area and then spoke with the customers.

The customer has now decided that they want 10ft off the top and more branches shortened which in my opinion is pointless and will ruin the tree. I've told them this and that we would not be allowed anyway due to the conservation area.

I'm not willing to carry out this as I'm fed up with customers asking me to carry out substandard work to their trees. I have walked away from more customers this last year who have asked similar things only to drive past and see butchered trees 2 months later.

What concerns me is that this will happen to this redwood and it will be ruined by someone.

I'd love to carry out my original proposals to the tree as it would be a pleasure to work on and a great climb it just annoys me that customers don't listen to best advice they wouldn't do this to an electrician or plumber.

Sorry rant over now

Get a Tpo on it.

Not that it'll stop some people mind!

Try and explain topping it that much will result in multiple leaders with weak growth patterns and more likely hood of failure and cost in the future. To be fair I've worked on one and managed to reduce it and selectively pruned limbs so it did not looked raped by around 2-3 m but 10m is a bit excessive !!

Try and explain topping it that much will result in multiple leaders with weak growth patterns and more likely hood of failure and cost in the future. To be fair I've worked on one and managed to reduce it and selectively pruned limbs so it did not looked raped by around 2-3 m but 10m is a bit excessive !!

I've explained this to them but asusual it's a customer who thinks topping will solve all their problems and won't listen to rational answers. I wouldn't mind if it was a crappy conifer but this is a tree of great amenity value. They only want 10ft off

I took a smaller (but still about 1.6m DBH) sequoia from a site in Alloa a year or two ago. I say took, I mean uplifted for milling (it became cladding).

The reason for removal was it's proximity to a crappy 1970s bungalow. It was probably only 4m from the tree. The tree was obviously there when the house was built and it was such a shame to remove the tree. I'd have demolished the house personally!

Point is, people are idiots and bricks and mortar (no matter how distasteful or poorly constructed it is) seem to trump (sometimes historic) trees. I hope your sequoia survives unmolested, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

If they have it in their head that that is what they want and will get it done then personally I would do it. It would be much better if you did it and did a good job than maybe someone else who might just hack it to bits.

Yes 10 foot off the top isn't going to achieve anything except put their mind at rest. I would also make sure they were present while doing the job do they can see that you did indeed only take 10 feet off.

Oops posted to early they only want 10ft off not 10m. This in my opinion is pointless anyway won't make any difference just produce weak growth that will probably need to be thinned in few years

Mmmmm it's a tough one , personally if you don't do it some one else will , I would do it and make the best job of it you can and make it clear that it means the tree will require future management. You get to go back and have another great climb .That's my bad I thought you had put in 10m!!

I took a smaller (but still about 1.6m DBH) sequoia from a site in Alloa a year or two ago. I say took, I mean uplifted for milling (it became cladding).

The reason for removal was it's proximity to a crappy 1970s bungalow. It was probably only 4m from the tree. The tree was obviously there when the house was built and it was such a shame to remove the tree. I'd have demolished the house personally!

Point is, people are idiots and bricks and mortar (no matter how distasteful or poorly constructed it is) seem to trump (sometimes historic) trees. I hope your sequoia survives unmolested, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I know all to often do I come across this situation only the other week was the customer moaning about where they had planted these 150 year old oaks next to their 1970s bungalow, as I get older I seem to dislike people more and more 😖

This house actually predates the tree as it was owned by the army major in the 1850s who planted the tree albeit far to close to the house.

I'd still probably remove the house over the tree despite it being a nice place but that's me.

I've got to go back and have more of a chat with the customer tomorrow so will try and get my point across more but I know people are right in saying if it does get done I should do it. I'm hoping the tree officer refuses the application if that's the case and I would revert back to my original plans 😉