Heating system for a large old house?

rowan lee

Doing a bit of research on oil and gas heating system alternatives for a large old farm house.

There is a plentiful supply of wood available, so I'm interested in hearing about large wood boiler systems, makes/brands and how they work.

Ideally the system would live in the basement, and possibly co-exist with the current oil fired boiler system that heats the radiators and hot water.

Systems needs capacity to heat about 250m2, or about 16 rooms.

Thanks.

16 rooms or 16 radiators Rowan, in just over 2500 ft sq, more likely rads than rooms

but nonetheless

look at Froling or Herz or Windhager brand boilers, & definately need min 2000 to 3000 to 4000 litres of Thermal store as well.

A basement is the perfect location ( in my opinion at least)

Would this qualify for any grants btw?

like our RHI scheme for instance?

good luck

Marcus

Thanks lads, yeah 16 rooms Difflock excluding bathrooms, so probably more like 300 - 350m2, it was just ball park - and thus yeah a big reservoir of water needed.

I'll have a look at those brands. Thanks.

Wood will be seasoned in ibc's, dropped off to basement access point and wheeled inside via manual pallet truck.

Farmer Rod,

I keep re-visiting the wood chip notion, the BIG advantage is being able to run akin to an oil boiler , i.e. "switch-on/switch-off".

BUT

Really need to be able to hire a suitable chipper locally.

A wile pity someone would not design a low horsepower chipper, electro-hydraulic and dead slow, but capable of drawing a tree trunk in and chipping at least fast enough to feed the boiler, feeding the chip into a buffer store.

Then absolute worst case set up a fresh tree trunk each day, or every few days.

Almost zero man-handling.

And ideal for mechanically harvested softwood bought by the truck load.

cheers

m

Farmer Rod,

I keep re-visiting the wood chip notion, the BIG advantage is being able to run akin to an oil boiler , i.e. "switch-on/switch-off".

Actually should never run a wood burner like an oil or gas burner, to do that would be short cycling them because the wood burns in stages and even with a woodchip stoker you are likely to need several kg of wood in the furnace at a time, with the chip stoker you are allowing all these stages of burning to happen continuously in a sequence so the average burn stages are supplied with an averagely right amount of air. With a gas or oil burner you supply all the air to the flame premixed with the fuel.

That said there's no need for either logs OR chip, my boiler, which Farmer Rod has seen, will accept 1m cord and there is a chip stoker at the rear. I suspect the reason was that the design was derived from a heater that ran on joinery offcuts. It heats up with a couple of pallets and as long as enough dry stuff is loaded you can stoke fairly wet chips as long as the exhaust temperature stays above 145C.

From previous experiments with other burners I found that the wetness of the chip that can be burned with no visible smoke seems to be determined by whether it can reach a combustion chamber exit temperature of above 800C, below that tends to smoke.

Because it has its foibles and was over sold to punters when interest in biomass started to increase they were slated in a government review but with sensible use they are no problem though there will be no support for the programmers any more.

From experience with several commercial chip burners I decided if the staff aren't enthusiastic about wood burning there will be problems, its not a push button start and forget device.

Doing a bit of research on oil and gas heating system alternatives for a large old farm house.

There is a plentiful supply of wood available, so I'm interested in hearing about large wood boiler systems, makes/brands and how they work.

Ideally the system would live in the basement, and possibly co-exist with the current oil fired boiler system that heats the radiators and hot water.

Systems needs capacity to heat about 250m2, or about 16 rooms.

Thanks.

Hi LEE all the large houses around here are running on biomass thanks John happy Xmas to you thanks John