Waxy Diesel

benedmonds

We had this issue last year when it got really cold, the chippers stopped working! The supplier said it was winter fuel but the chippers still clogged up. We ended up using white during the cold spell. We tried additives but that didn't seem to help.

We changed supplier and they have told us it is winter fuel again, but we had issues again this week with our first cold snap. Two chippers totally stopped only to work later in the day when it warmed up..

Our new supplier has said there is a higher grade diesel that is a bit more expensive that we can use, but it's a bit rubbish that we have ordered winter fuel and have a full tank of the stuff that will clog our chippers when we get a frost.

Anyone have any solutions that work...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the winter diesel works when the day warms up, then its probably only a few degrees difference in the tank between working and not working. Could you warm the tank on the chipper?

I have read that in the old days in the USSR they used to light small fires under the trucks in winter to warm the workings. Not suggesting you do that.

But maybe a propane blowtorch bungeed or taped the the body of the chipper, with the nozzle just warming the metal wall of the fuel tank would be enough? We know that diesel is non-flammable under normal conditions and in any case the mass of the fuel tank would distribute the heat pretty evenly. Might be an expensive way to do it, but if its only one tank.....

There are in line heaters for machines running on biodiesel (to account for reduced viscosity in the cold). From what I've seen it's a very simple 12v heating sleeve.

What kind of temperatures are we talking about? Ifs only a few C's below zero I'd be quite concerned.

seems to me if white works, I'm presuming it does?.

The you have your own solution..

Use white in winter...better than putting a flame thrower on it first thing in the morning I imagine LOL..

Sorry for a wee little hijack, but the mention of flamethrowers made me remember this vid - just gotta share it, honestly its pretty awesome.

[ame]

[/ame]

We had this issue last year when it got really cold, the chippers stopped working! The supplier said it was winter fuel but the chippers still clogged up. We ended up using white during the cold spell. We tried additives but that didn't seem to help.

We changed supplier and they have told us it is winter fuel again, but we had issues again this week with our first cold snap. Two chippers totally stopped only to work later in the day when it warmed up..

Our new supplier has said there is a higher grade diesel that is a bit more expensive that we can use, but it's a bit rubbish that we have ordered winter fuel and have a full tank of the stuff that will clog our chippers when we get a frost.

Anyone have any solutions that work...

The reason some diesel engines freeze the fuel and others dont is all down to the water content of the fuel, its this that causes the filters to wax. Moisture free diesel will not freeze in the sorts of temperatures we get in this country. I know its hard to completely eliminate so we chuck in ten gallons of petrol for every five hundred gallons of diesel, this ratio is more than enough keep reasonably moisture free diesel moving. Its worth cleaning all the storage tanks, machines and filters before the winter sets in.

Bob

I service dozens of big generators and we have very few problems. Not saying this is your problem but good house keeping prevents problems.

Normally the problem is already in the bottom of the tank. Drain your fuel tanks and get the steam cleaner in there.

Your bulk tank should have an inspection cover drain it then tip it up to see if there is water and gunk in the bottom. If there is get the last bit out with soak mats.

Fuel bought now is winter grade and will stay fresh for at least 3 months. After that time the solvents are evaporating and the veg oil starts to separate and mix with any water.

White and red is exactly the same fuel and will behave the same. The reason road vehicles are less prone is good storage conditions and it is used quickly.

Try to run your tanks down so you don't mix too much summer and winter grade. Fresh fuel in a dirty tank will absorb the moisture very quickly.

I service dozens of big generators and we have very few problems. Not saying this is your problem but good house keeping prevents problems.

Normally the problem is already in the bottom of the tank. Drain your fuel tanks and get the steam cleaner in there.

Your bulk tank should have an inspection cover drain it then tip it up to see if there is water and gunk in the bottom. If there is get the last bit out with soak mats.

Fuel bought now is winter grade and will stay fresh for at least 3 months. After that time the solvents are evaporating and the veg oil starts to separate and mix with any water.

White and red is exactly the same fuel and will behave the same. The reason road vehicles are less prone is good storage conditions and it is used quickly.

Try to run your tanks down so you don't mix too much summer and winter grade. Fresh fuel in a dirty tank will absorb the moisture very quickly.

Hi Steve your right that's what my old tractor fitter says must be clean in side the tank otherwise there will be mould grow in the tank and sludge thanks John