Pto chipper for alpine tractor?

Oaklay

We have a site clearance job coming up where the access is limited to small machines (no chance of big tractor), and it's around a mile from the road. We have a alpine tractor and tracked forst that are perfect for the job. The issue is we have just learned that it's not secure to leave machines unattended over night. I really don't fancy tracking a mile each way on the chipper and it's to steep for the alpine to tow it in.

If we put a PTO chipper on the alpine (60hp) would it have the grunt to clear the site at a similar rate to 8 inch forst? If so any recommendations on make/model or anyone know of something to hire or buy? It can happily lift and carry 800kg on this sort terrain.

Any advice appreciated thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The issue is weight rather than power, at 60hp is more than the forst will have. You need to be sure the tractor can lift an 8"pto chipper. There are loads of 6" machines out there that will work fine and with 60hp behind them they will chip a lot more than your average 6" machine which will only have 30-40hp.

http://www.masonwoodchippers.com/P64%20FARMI%20STOCK%20BIG%20PAGE.html

This would probably be ideal for you, I've used the bigger farmi lots and found it a very capable chipper and not too heavy. The 45degree feed is an advantage as requires less hp to drive so the Alpine will have no bother chipping up to 6" with it.

http://www.masonwoodchippers.com/P64%20FARMI%20STOCK%20BIG%20PAGE.html

This would probably be ideal for you, I've used the bigger farmi lots and found it a very capable chipper and not too heavy. The 45degree feed is an advantage as requires less hp to drive so the Alpine will have no bother chipping up to 6" with it.

We had one of these and it was probably the worse chipper I've used. we would rather tow out the timberwolf 150 than use it, fine on big lumps of 6" timber but brash would wrap around the rollers and jam it , eventually I think the metal around the rollers split under pressure of too much foliage wrapped around them, was not bad on hawthorn though.

I'm selling a 2014 TP130 pto (516kg) which has 8.5in x 5in infeed if that's of interest, it chomps through most material well and the antistress system rarely kicks in on my 50 hp alpine (82kg flywheel), and if you're not chipping acres of difficult blackthorn etc its ok Agree with Tom that you will likely be pulling wheelies with an 8 inch machine, but if not too steep/wet and you can reverse up banks etc a bigger machine might be ok.

Thanks all great stuff. It's all broadleaf to clear, fairly clean and straight so sounds like a pto could be upto the job. The alpine has loader and grab on the bonnet end which helps minimise wheelies a bit.

Yes please could you message me details of the pto tp? Thanks

We had one of these and it was probably the worse chipper I've used. we would rather tow out the timberwolf 150 than use it, fine on big lumps of 6" timber but brash would wrap around the rollers and jam it , eventually I think the metal around the rollers split under pressure of too much foliage wrapped around them, was not bad on hawthorn though.

Only ever had bother with the 10" version clogging with very long wispy willow or if the blades were dull or blade anvil gap was set too large to make bigger chip for footpaths, crane fed it lots to and apart from ripping the whole hopper off once by opening the grab too much inside and lifting at same time we never had any problems with it.

Just a note. I noticed a sticker on a BCS tractor that if you use pto whilst the tractor is stationary you have to have one if the gear levers engaged. I assume it's a lubrication issue.

I think Ferrari BCS and carerro are the same machine in a different colour.

Hate to hear your transmission failed stuck in the woods.

I will look at the tractor tomorrow .

Just a note. I noticed a sticker on a BCS tractor that if you use pto whilst the tractor is stationary you have to have one if the gear levers engaged. I assume it's a lubrication issue.

I think Ferrari BCS and carerro are the same machine in a different colour.

Hate to hear your transmission failed stuck in the woods.

I will look at the tractor tomorrow .

Pedantic comment alert!!

Ferrari, BCS and Pasquali are all the same. Carraro are reputedly a bit more good.:001_smile:

Didn't know about the putting it in gear thing. Top tip:thumbup: