Yew damaged by leylandi

Chapelboy

Question

Hello, I'm a long time lurker on this forum which is not only a great community but has also helped me look after my own gardens and also realise my own limitations 😀.

With apologies that my first post is a request for info, I wonder if some more knowledgable posters could help me.

I have recently purchased a new house that has a fantastic yew tree at its side that was probably planted when the house was built. I would love to keep it, there is no preservation order on it.

Sadly someone planted a couple of leylandi next to it that have grown larger and too close to it, causing one side to die back.

If the leylandi are removed will the yew regenerate and grow back or is it a lost cause ?

I've hopefully attached a photo to help one is taken of the 'inside' where the two trees meet.

Thanks

Darran.

IMG_0742.jpg.b91dec81f42c960a49cd8591f541713e.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg.1e5086a93cc86866abfda430d55c7afb.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg.81c1e0abade389043542bf7aff3936e1.jpg

Topper, thanks for the advice, Mick thats exactly the kind of info I love to receive so thank you :001_smile: .

The Cypress will be history and hopefuly the Yes will slowly regenerate. Is it worth feeding or is it too big/mature for fertiliser to make a difference?

Topper, thanks for the advice, Mick thats exactly the kind of info I love to receive so thank you :001_smile: .

The Cypress will be history and hopefuly the Yes will slowly regenerate. Is it worth feeding or is it too big/mature for fertiliser to make a difference?

Taking the weeds out to the radius of the crown and giving it a nice layer of mulch wouldn't do any harm - it will reduce competition for water and help growth.

Alec