selling a scrap vehicle & what to do with V5?

Rupe

My old truck was goign to the scrap yard but I didn't fancy driving it there so I had not figured that part out yet!

The scrap man who come through the inductrial estate where I'm based offered my 60quid and will take it off my hands. He says he wants some parts and will then send whats left to the scrapyard.

What am I to do with the registration document? I don't want my plates turnign up on another vehicle and definatly don't want my old truck on the road!!

Should I just put his name and address in the box as if he's the new owner? Do I need ID off him, cos I doubt I'll get it!

I've got the old type V5 document for this vehicle.

Most of my previose cars have just been stolen or traded in which is much simpler!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there an option on the V5 to say it was sold as scap? I think there used to be

Thats what I'm looking at but it says tick the scrap box if you dismantle it yourself?? A scrap yard counts as a vehicle trader so you would fill in the red bit but I'm doing neither so I'm confused.

A scrap yard counts as a vehicle trader so you would fill in the red bit but I'm doing neither so I'm confused.

I think that's done to deter folk from passing their vehicles on anonymously to be driven in dangerous condition with no insurance or used in crime!

As Mick Stockbridge suggests - do it properly and save yourself potentially no end of grief.

If you look in the yellow pages you will find a list of reputable vehicle dismantlers. Ring them and they will come and collect it, then you can use trader part of the form. It was a yard round your way that picked up my LDV from my parents in stonehouse and paid 100quid for it. If you do sell it privately make sure you change the owner through the V5. In fact now I send everything to DVLA with a covering letter recorded delivery, after they tried to screw me over a SORN decleration.

Rob

The guy that wants to collect it isn't really a scrapyard or dealer, he just drives around in a transit and collects scrap. 60 quid would save me a trip to the scrapyard or borrowing a trailer. I just don't want any comeback from selling to him.

Can I just put his name in the blue section and send it off to dvla and if he gives a false name then its not my problem? Thats the question I'm asking?