Cs100 diesel modification?

Daythe trees

I feel a bit bad putting a cs100 in the large equipment thread given it's a wee thing!

I have been running mind a while and think it's very strongly built. I am wondering if I can find a smallish Diesel engine that will fit and give it 25-30hp it will be phenomenal as the only thing holding it back is the 18horses it currently has. I also have a job for the 18hp vanguard engine to run a home made hydrUlic splitter project.

So questions;

1. Anyone able to think of an engine to do the job current or dated, and how can I get one?

2. Could I make it chain drive with a centrifugal clutch on the top pulley bearing so as not to stress the engine by stalling it. Maybe an 880 clutch?

3. Anyone done something similar and want to advise against?

Thanks chris

IIRC correctly the 880 (MS880 I assume) produces around 8.5 HP therefore the clutch would struggle with your proposed upgrade.

Last time I 'replaced' an engine in a chipper for something different I found a seemingly endless string of bodges t make it work.

Having said that, If you really feel the need then go for it.

Wouldn't putting a bigger engine on it cause it to block? As it would take material faster than it can clear it and wouldn't slow as quickly causing more material packed into a blockage? A roller fed machine would deal with bigger engine as the anti stress would deal with it? I'd stick with 18 myself

Edited by dan494

Whether or not its advisable to do it remain to be seen but im sure you realise you will have several problems to overcome. You probably could incorporate a tensioner working as a clutch into a v belt drive system. Don't be tempted to run the machine at a higher rpm than it was designed for unless you want an unexpected look at the internals. Internet is full of engine suppliers but if you could look at one before you buy to get an idea of the physical size and layout it would be much easier to design. You need to be happy with the physical size and extra weight of the new engine and drive. A bigger engine will put more strain on the machine so if there is any weakness your more powerfull engine will find it. If you decide to go ahead, before you start you need to do your research and plan the whole job rather than try to solve problems as you go.

Edited by cornish wood burner

I think you all may be right. As soon as I hit post I realised that an 880 clutch would destroy itself in an hours running. The extra weight of a diesel lump would kill this machines selling point, I was hoping I could find a light diesel. Fool I am!

Hang on and buy a road tow or tracked as soon as possible I think is the solution.