Stihl FS280 brushcutter, any views?!

Big T

Hiya,

I have been offered an fs280 for around £100, anyone used one? Or have any views of them? Think they were not a UK model??

If you mean Fs280k then I have one. Quite an old model but around 40cc 1 .9 kw

Runs a 300mm blade or heavy line. Very pleased with mine.Starts well, very little vib.

A lot of machine for the money if reasonable condition

Edited by cornish wood burner

What head do you have on yours mate? Mine has a pre bump head on it, looking to upgrade it to a bump one! Also how does the blade fit on yours as on mine the shaft where the blade fits on doesn't have any splines on it?!

I had to buy the blade, mounting washers, nut and domed nut skid. Expensive but worth it.

Drive washer fits under the tin guard. You probably have that. It has 4 holes for the locking pin to enable you to tighten the nut. Blade fits next then the thick slightly domed retaining washer which has a hole with two flats that fit the drive. Then skid and lastly nut.

I don't think I would buy a bump head unless you are only strimming light grass. Jet fit or portek for precut lines are better IMO. Have a look at the best strimmer line thread a page back in the landscaping section. If you get one of these heads make sure it cannot move on the shaft though.

I have a portek head which I was running on another strimmer until it moved a little and became unbalanced. Shook the carb bolts loose. That has made me a bit nervous of them now. I have very stoney ground so I use a line for what most would use a blade for.

As an experiment I have bought some extra eyelets for my manual feed head. I have opened the holes out to 5 mm so I can use 4 mm diamond edge line. This is virtually indestructible so should last longer than the high strength lines I have been using in it. If it is successful

then there will be absolutely no danger of out of balance as it will be mounted directly on the drive shaft. If sucessful it will be cheaper than a special head as well. Hope to test it in a few days time.

Sounds good mate! I have the drive washer (I think!). I also have the nut and the big domed washer type thing! The only reason I was a bit confused is that I also have a little fs55, and to put a blade on that I have to use a "thrust washer" that has a spline in the middle that fits the splines on the drive shaft. The 280 dosent have any splines on the shaft, so I'm assuming that it's just the big domed washer and the nut that hold the blade on the drive shaft? I would like to use a bump head as mate has one on his 460 and I find it easier to use than the prehistoric one currently on the 280! Will new stihl heads fit? Is the thread on the drive shaft the same as newer models? I mostly cut clean grass, if I have to do brambles etc then the blade goes on!:)

What head do you have on yours mate? Mine has a pre bump head on it, looking to upgrade it to a bump one! Also how does the blade fit on yours as on mine the shaft where the blade fits on doesn't have any splines on it?!

Sounds good mate! I have the drive washer (I think!). I also have the nut and the big domed washer type thing! The only reason I was a bit confused is that I also have a little fs55, and to put a blade on that I have to use a "thrust washer" that has a spline in the middle that fits the splines on the drive shaft. The 280 dosent have any splines on the shaft, so I'm assuming that it's just the big domed washer and the nut that hold the blade on the drive shaft? I would like to use a bump head as mate has one on his 460 and I find it easier to use than the prehistoric one currently on the 280! Will new stihl heads fit? Is the thread on the drive shaft the same as newer models? I mostly cut clean grass, if I have to do brambles etc then the blade goes on!:)

You will need the heavy washer after the blade. The big domed one is too thin. It just act as a skid as far as I know. My bump head went in the bin but I am strimming 1/2inch blackthorn and stones so slightly different to you. No idea if the new Stihl heads fit I'm afraid.

Ok mate, thanks for the help!:). Where did you get the bits as I think I need the washer as if I take the one off that's already fitted then the blade sits too low and pushes on the gear head.

Got my bits locally from Callington garden machinery. Any garden machinery dealer should be able to work out what bits you need. Sounds like you need both washers to sandwich the blade.