Help with my first chainsaw?

sspearos

Hi all,

I am working towards my tree surgery qualifications, currently CS32. I want to mainly fell and process as a back up to my main career. May move up to climbing but for now I am looking for a decent chainsaw that will suit my needs. I obviously would want gas powered but the market is vast😩

I hear you can't go wrong with a Husky or a Stihl, so happy to go that route.

Question is guys... Which one?

I'd like to think a price range of £300 ish would be for me, although happy to push it for the good kit. What are the key characteristics to look for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

There's this;EFCO MT4100S 40CC Multi-Purpose Petrol Chainsaw (With Free Chainsaw Starter Kit) - Chainsaws Find Efco Chainsaws Buy UK

Or this;ECHO CS-370ES 13 Petrol Chainsaw (Special Offer With Free Starter Kit) - Chainsaws Find Echo Chainsaws Buy UK

Both ok saws and within your buget.

This is the Stihl;Stihl MS 231 chainsaw (40.6cc) | F R Jones and Son

All others jump by £150+.

Personally I like the Efco & Echo as a starter saw and there's nowt wrong with either!

codlasher

I started off with a Stihl ms 290, great saw, bit heavy for starters I know think. Try one that feels the best in your hands, something nice and light so you will find it easier to stick it where you want to! ms 241 ms 201 rear handle, or something which maybe cheaper, one of the entry husky saws 40cc+. If I started again I wouldn't go with an all rounder as when you get more into it you start picking up saws for the specific jobs you get.

Enjoy good luck

Hi all,

I am working towards my tree surgery qualifications, currently CS32. I want to mainly fell and process as a back up to my main career. May move up to climbing but for now I am looking for a decent chainsaw that will suit my needs. I obviously would want gas powered but the market is vast😩

I hear you can't go wrong with a Husky or a Stihl, so happy to go that route.

Question is guys... Which one?

I'd like to think a price range of £300 ish would be for me, although happy to push it for the good kit. What are the key characteristics to look for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Hi Steve see savhey Andrew on here mate he may have something thanks John

Guys

Thanks for all your advice

I was recommended the

STIHL MS261C-M

Will this be a good all rounder offering good balance and weight for prolonged use and enough power for the larger trees?

Hi

Yes good saw, I have a 260 but your OP budget was £300.

The 261 is around £500 so Husqvarna 545xp or 550xp now in the mix.

N