Canker ID on Horse chestnut?

jacquemontii

Hi, does anyone recognise these symptoms on the bark of a young/semi-mature Horse chestnut?

Trying to determine if this is a type of canker and whether it will affect the long term health of the tree. The crown appears to be in good structural and physiological condition, although as seen in the photo there are several pruning stubs, also some mower damage to exposed roots on surface of surrounding grass.

20150122_101326.jpg.19838fab878a60dc3d89d8b2b564837b.jpg

20150122_101308.jpg.d65b03b76686c0250df308d0ce383b79.jpg

20150122_101248.jpg.e48f3ae412057e6730bbf2c43c57de4e.jpg

20150122_101226.jpg.632d81f379b3e4e703ab82514fadda0c.jpg

Hi, does anyone recognise these symptoms on the bark of a young/semi-mature Horse chestnut?

Trying to determine if this is a type of canker and whether it will affect the long term health of the tree. The crown appears to be in good structural and physiological condition, although as seen in the photo there are several pruning stubs, also some mower damage to exposed roots on surface of surrounding grass.

Phytophthora cactorum

Thanks for your reply Jesse.

I've read that bleeding canker can cause structural weakness if the canker girdles the stem, however disease progression can be slow. I've also read that trees can recover from this? In this instance its a young tree with an otherwise healthy appearance.

The location of the canker on the trunk and branch unions would rule out the effectiveness of any pruning to remove infected bark.

I'm trying to assess whether its worth monitoring this to see how it develops, or to act now and remove the tree, with a view to replacement planting.

Thanks for your reply Jesse.

I've read that bleeding canker can cause structural weakness if the canker girdles the stem, however disease progression can be slow. I've also read that trees can recover from this? In this instance its a young tree with an otherwise healthy appearance.

The location of the canker on the trunk and branch unions would rule out the effectiveness of any pruning to remove infected bark.

I'm trying to assess whether its worth monitoring this to see how it develops, or to act now and remove the tree, with a view to replacement planting.

I surveyed one with it a few years ago on Red Horse Chestnut, my recommendation was to monitor , and i agree with what you have said, but saying that whats the Target area value ? mine was Low risk it does weaken the tree but often the trees have compact crowns especially if its on Aesculus x carnea, my tree was taken down a few years later for other reasons , its difficult to predict how long they can go on, any secondary problems , fungal presents?

I surveyed one with it a few years ago on Red Horse Chestnut, my recommendation was to monitor , and i agree with what you have said, but saying that whats the Target area value ? mine was Low risk it does weaken the tree but often the trees have compact crowns especially if its on Aesculus x carnea, my tree was taken down a few years later for other reasons , its difficult to predict how long they can go on, any secondary problems , fungal presents?

In Fact saying the above , and looking at the photos again, it looks to be on a few trees, and they are very poor specimens, could be a reasonable recommendation to fell and replant with a different species. They are not very old.

In Fact saying the above , and looking at the photos again, it looks to be on a few trees, and they are very poor specimens, could be a reasonable recommendation to fell and replant with a different species. They are not very old.

Looks like it could be a private drive?

Any history on purchase and planting? Poor batch from nursery?

Cars parked in pics, any / frequency of pedestrian traffic / distance to buildings?

Could be better to cut (excuse the pun) the potential later losses and start again??