Crewcab or single cab?

Andyd1606

Hi all I have recently had my crewcab transit tipper written of by some **** who couldn't drive and hit it while parked outside my house.

I am getting paid out by my insurance company but it's nowhere what I need to get a new crewcab tipper in good condition.

I have found a few decent single cab tippers and wondered what are people's thoughts on the practicality of these.

The upside is that I can legally carry more load then the crewcab but the tool storage is compromised.

I haven't got a lot more money at the moment to convert the back and get some tool storage so how do people find using the single cab on a daily basis.

I have my chipbox of my old transit which I built and can be bolted straight onto the new truck

Thanks Andy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always preferred the single cabs and still run one.

You just dont leave tools that are valuable In the back!

I have to admit to using the crewcab as my mobile shed. One of the reasons is that it is parked right outside my bedroom window and I'd like to think I'd hear it getting broken into. If the tools were in my shed I probably wouldn't hear them. I know it's not the best security but the truck was alarmed and security locks grills etc all in place.

Having spent the day clearing it out I now realise that most of the tools aren't used often and just get driven about daily for no reason. I think I'll update the security on my shed and get a single cab and carry less tatt around with me.

I didn't realise that it was only a 200kg difference I always assumed it would be more than that

Ive found that the biggest downside of running a crew cab tipper is that usually when you slow down other workers stop and look at me like ime about to nick all their gear.

And when you stop, suspisious locals walk over and ask what/who you're looking for,whilst writing down my reg number.

I've run both, and could never go backto a single cab and the ballache of loading and unloading gear all day.

That said, the crew can is a lot of wasted space and weight.

Tool lockers behind the bulkhead on a single cab is best, but they don't come up very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Ive found that the biggest downside of running a crew cab tipper is that usually when you slow down other workers stop and look at me like ime about to nick all their gear.

And when you stop, suspisious locals walk over and ask what/who you're looking for,whilst writing down my reg number.

That's was always one of my worries so I alway made a conscious effort to keep it clean and looking respectable well sign written etc.

Mark your right I do worry that if I get a single cab I'll regret all the extra hassle loading and unloading. It's not the saws as much it's all the other tools I keep in there just incase I need it and I have done in the past.

Sorry to hear of your predicament but I've been wondering the same, single or crew cab for the same reasons you give (storage/weight/length). Been looking at Iveco Daily tippers lately which seem to be less money for comparable trucks. Maybe have to budget for new springs etc if its already 'arb'd'.