Calm after the storm

scbk

How's everyone else in the north of the country been getting on after the winds last night?

I was woke up about 3-4am by the carbon monoxide alarm in the lounge, think smoke was being blown back down the chimney! Power was off but luckily I remembered to leave a torch by the bed

Took ages to get back to sleep with all the noise outside.

At daybreak I noticed our trampoline right outside the cottage window, it normally sits over 60ft away! It was upright, and no damage to the grass etc, looked like someone had just lifted it up and carried it across :001_huh::lol:

A few trees down on the estate, lots of big limbs too. One came down and split a small tree completely in half, still standing, I will have to get a photo of that.

A mile down the round there is a old shelter belt of scots pines, unfortunately it looks like a war zone, only a couple of acres but 30+ mature and hardy pines on the deck or hung up :sad:

Power came back on about 3.30pm (not bad going :001_smile:), just as I was about to go out and start fettling with an old generator.

SSE must've been using a helicopter to check the lines as there was one doing some funky circles above!:laugh1:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there saying it could be worse tonight, hope not, looks like we escaped down here, not a lot of carnage, a few trees down, will have to and check our felling sight tommorow, on past blows I'm expecting a lot down, took 3 weeks to clear the last lot up

Nothing too severe at the yard. Two gates with minor damage, a complete fence panel blown off and 25ft across the field (this is a panel weighing about 100kg) and a minor collapse on one of my barn roofs. Would have been quite serious had I not had a handy stack of firewood crates which actually caught the roof truss (meaning it dropped 12 inches as opposed to 15ft, which would have take the roof down).

Our wheelie bin was trundling round like a Dalek till it wedged itself in a corner. I fetched anything in if it looked like taking off and tied the cover back on my cement mixer. It's calmed down a lot now but still gusting occasionally.