Topping at 200 + feet

RC0

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

550, Ti. I got it for climbing, not much else.

Stevie, a fair of big hazard trees came out over the last couple of days. Most of the footage I got was unwatcheble....because of the rain and sawdust etc. Root, heartrot and just stone dead like the second vid. The tree in the vid was pretty straightforward, just very tall. I topped out a big leaner that was probably 250, but the footage was rubbish as I used a chest mount for the camera....silly idea. They blew up some trees of similar size, but i wasnt able to film as was elsewhere in the grove. At least I got the one dynamite vid....be it a much shorter tree at 140.

This was Martin Evans' job, a member here, from Coventry. Good bloke. Good treeman.

A couple pics, although dark and and hard to see. Missed the tops coming off on both trees. Ah well. Rain throughout the first day....70-90k winds and rain the second day. Week before was beautiful, still and frosty. Murphys law:biggrin:

DSC04196.jpg.e00728cef45f30f363bc34f7308f6018.jpg

DSC04180.jpg.82d7f3ec19baca1a13730530c7b1cad3.jpg

DSC04139.jpg.24b13c1c8c6fcb471b7b424b27147caa.jpg

DSC04130.jpg.d5f4fe22046094f4cb806af7e8d40433.jpg

DSC04078.jpg.31754f02a1129593f6ab8b1b7f1cf8f5.jpg

The Silky saw finishing the backcut off,brilliant! the first video has such an eerie silence about it once the cutting has stopped....the mist and the view and just the faint sound of a distant saw. On the second i wasn,t awake enough to read the description. too busy checking it was set to 1080p and headphones to maximum...almost blew my eardrums out! (In a very good "Wake the hell up" way)

Nice work on the first vid Reg, don't fancy that height if the wind picked up strong, when you drop lengths of timber out at those heights is the client worried about damage to the base of the other trees? or is the priority just getting the dangerous trees down and accepting some collateral damage to the others growing around them?

Only reason I'm asking is that the name Cathedral Grove gives the impression the trees/forest are of some value historically/old growth etc.

Edited by scotspine1