what finnishing product

gobbypunk

Got a similar question, (was going to post this evening but as its been brought up).

Making an elm burr coffee table to go in a holiday cottage, so will be used by different people each week some of whom won't care if they mark the table or not.

What finish would you recommend? I've looked at the osmo site and top oil seems to Bethe one they recommend, what do you guys think.

I guess the answers are the same as above though.

i gave an elm coffee table a few coats of danish and the nephews have put it through its paces and its still fairly unscathed after 5-6 years.

depends on the fluid i suppose? the boys like apple and orange juice which are acidic and it's stood up to those.

can always be sanded down and resurfaced if its trashed.

i've not used osmo that much but slackbladder will be able to tell you the best stuff for it.

It's almost always a trade off between beauty and toughness with wax at one end and varnish at the other. I have never found a magic product but have found the drying oils like Danish oil to be the best compromise. Personal fave is Liberon finishing oil. The more coats the better protection but the down side is it will have a glossier appearance. Used the Liberon oil on our walnut worktops and it has proved very tough but I used it very generously so the appearance is more like varnish. The nicest result I have had with varnish is an oil based yacht varnish heavily thinned down but this is probably the same as a thick coat of oil.

This is English walnut with Liberon finishing oil

DSC00169.jpg.76a8cb5a681f1b452c67974dc3e80c65.jpg