Day in the life. Madrone - Crane - Removal

RC0

Following on from the ‘Day in the life’ video I did last year.

Then it was just blasting down a bunch of firs. This time we crane out a large Arbutus madrone from a back yard. 160T crane and a great tree company to work with . Had camera trouble part way through, so some stuff is missing....but I had another camera up and running within not too much time. 20 mins or so to watch....but some good footage here. Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another 'unique' Reg Coates video that I've enjoyed watching.

Thanks for taking the the time to plan and put it together.

Looked a very impressive tree that was over its prime.

Did Daniel consult on the decision to remove the tree?

Or was he just brought in as the contractor to to do the removal?

Has anyone got an idea on when it was planted?

With regards to the crane work, it must be a big decision on how large a section to remove in one go when the canopy of it interacts with neighbouring sections.

I expect your experience wins out each time you rig one out, but wondering if you lost any significant branches in the drop zone from snappage on this job?

Looking forward to the next instalment :thumbup1:

Looked like it had been declining for a while.

its crown did look sparse.

the sapwood look good though, also only minor heart rot (judging by the few cross sections that were in the footage)

I'm interested (as well as in the crane work and the documentory) to know if there was a diagnosis for the Madrone's decline (Reg?)

Thanks

Another 'unique' Reg Coates video that I've enjoyed watching.

Thanks for taking the the time to plan and put it together.

Looked a very impressive tree that was over its prime.

Did Daniel consult on the decision to remove the tree?

Or was he just brought in as the contractor to to do the removal?

Has anyone got an idea on when it was planted?

With regards to the crane work, it must be a big decision on how large a section to remove in one go when the canopy of it interacts with neighbouring sections.

I expect your experience wins out each time you rig one out, but wondering if you lost any significant branches in the drop zone from snappage on this job?

Looking forward to the next instalment :thumbup1:

David, the home owner had to get a permit from the city municipality. An arborist from the department would have come out to make the decision. Lots of the madrones are dying out here the exact same way, foilage first. The cause has yet to be pin-pointed. No danger of them falling over or coming apart, but the guy wanted it gone rather than a somewhat mutilated and sorry looking tree being retained....that would probably wont ever recover thereafter. Yes in its day it must have been a magnificent tree....still would be in a different location perhaps....I personally prefer to see standing dead wood in a tree than see it all removed and looking uniformed. But where it was, was causing too much of an worry for the home owner and his neighbors.

The tree removal itself went pretty well. In regards to the crown congestion and risk of limbs breaking out, Ive certainly done much worse. Madrone goes really hard when it dies, much like euc....so, much less risky to work with than say beech, ash or oak etc.