Fransgard 6.5 tonne winch

Supernube

Hello all....I just wondered if somebody could tell me what HP Tractor is needed to run a 6.5 tonne Fransgard winch ?

Also on a slightly seperate note...how do you adjust the clutch on one as it is apparently slightly pulling when you pull it out ?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

I've had a 6.5 fransgard on a 75hp tractor before and that was fine.

I can look in the manual tomorrow and tell you how to adjust it. If you search for 6.5 tonne fransgard winch i'm sure they'll be a post saying how to do it. I'm sure i've explained it a few times. I just cant remember how to do it full off the top of my head. I think its slack off the three nuts engange the winch tighten up let it off about 1/3 of a turn on the big nut. I think thats it but without it in front of me i can't remember it must be nearly a year since i did anything with one.

Thank you all.

I will contact AT Osborne tomorrow sometime ....thanks for the pointer.

Brushcutter...that would be great if you could dig out that info ...will hopefully save a lot of time mate..thanks.

I spoke to somebody i know just now and they said any tractor with 33 hp or above will run it ? as long the PTO runs at 550 ????

This is getting far too complicated now :001_smile: ...anybody know more on this ?

Thank you all for your replies.

Yeah, you don't need a huge amount of horsepower. 540RPM is the PTO speed you need, it's the basic speed for all tractors so no worries there. Other PTO speeds are higher geared for economy so so long as the revs are set right you could run it on a 540E, 1000 or even 1000E PTO,

From my limited experience of winching, the bigger the tractor the easier it is to position the winch without doing a wheelie.... :lol:

Thank you Doobin...Ive done a fair amount of winching but never new anything about tractors pto speeds etc ...so thanks:thumbup1:

Also...Im going to start looking in to making the radio ear protectors you described to me a while ago....I will find the original post hopefully...but just wondered if you had any further advice or tips....or even if you had a pair you might want to sell ?

I doubt you'll remember but I wanted them to fit my Husky helmet ...not sure if you advised a whole new helmet now...but I will be needing the visor ect ...?

Anyway....my missus wants to watch eastenders so I better go now.

Thanks

Make your own helmet. Spec it how you want. 'Forestry helmets' are simply helmets with a mesh visor and ear defenders, and a high price tag.

You need to work out what slots your chosen helmet has. Euro slots are the most common. Then you choose the ear defenders you want, with a helmet mount for that slot. Then you can add visors etc.

Tell me exactly what you want and I'll tell you how to do it. Bin the helmet and start over- a brand new shiny vented reduced peak helmet is only a tenner, and much lighter than the Husky.

Make your own helmet. Spec it how you want. 'Forestry helmets' are simply helmets with a mesh visor and ear defenders, and a high price tag.

You need to work out what slots your chosen helmet has. Euro slots are the most common. Then you choose the ear defenders you want, with a helmet mount for that slot. Then you can add visors etc.

Tell me exactly what you want and I'll tell you how to do it. Bin the helmet and start over- a brand new shiny vented reduced peak helmet is only a tenner, and much lighter than the Husky.

Thanks again.

I quite like the look of this helmet but tell me what you think....

Basically I was after a FM Radio helmet set up...for the old Forestry ...originally looked at the "Husky" set ...but you advised to stay away...which I will most definitely do....so now I am after a set up that works well ...strong...and allows for the fact I sweat like you wouldnt believe !!! I had sweat running out of my ear defenders INTO my ears today...fuuuuuck.

Now bothered about MP3 just radio will do me...

Dont really want to spend a fortune cos I know how long stuff lasts in the woods...but I also dont want to waste money on crap either....so any advice is welcome mate.

Thanks