ms660 owners....

wisecobandit

Just after some basic info

Roughly at what distance from the handlebar does your hand/safety brake engage?

Ive got one here and the brake handle literally has to touch the handlebar before it engages :confused1: Its almost at the point where your fingers around the handlebar would actually stop the brake handle actually engaging unless you have very feminine hands!

Just seems wrong to me as I would expect a couple inches away atleast yet obviously theres no adjustment etc. On inspecting the handle I can see no writing or stihl part numbers so im suspecting maybe an aftermarket brake handle given past problems with the the brake handles on the ms660 and wandering if that's the cause possibly

mine is really hard to engage, feels like it would bruise your wrist if needed.

just looked at mine. when you say engage do you mean release? as you pull the brake handle back towards the handle it disengages the break about half an inch from the handle. you def couldn;t have yer fingers in the gap. knocking the brake on i.e pushing towards the bar feels like any other saw and both when the brake is on or off the brake handle sits back down giving you enough room for your hands on the handle.

does that help?

Just after some basic info

Roughly at what distance from the handlebar does your hand/safety brake engage?

Ive got one here and the brake handle literally has to touch the handlebar before it engages :confused1: Its almost at the point where your fingers around the handlebar would actually stop the brake handle actually engaging unless you have very feminine hands!

Just seems wrong to me as I would expect a couple inches away atleast yet obviously theres no adjustment etc. On inspecting the handle I can see no writing or stihl part numbers so im suspecting maybe an aftermarket brake handle given past problems with the the brake handles on the ms660 and wandering if that's the cause possibly

HI WISE my 2014 warm handle saw is great comes on ok how old is your saw if it only 2/3 years old ring stihl mate ive find them very good and will fix old stuff to thanks jon

mine is really hard to engage, feels like it would bruise your wrist if needed.

just looked at mine. when you say engage do you mean release? as you pull the brake handle back towards the handle it disengages the break about half an inch from the handle. you def couldn;t have yer fingers in the gap. knocking the brake on i.e pushing towards the bar feels like any other saw and both when the brake is on or off the brake handle sits back down giving you enough room for your hands on the handle.

does that help?

Bingo yeah that's exactly the same as this one.

Now ive found the reason out. Stihl actually list 2 different brake levers for the ms660. It depends on what handlebar you have fitted.

Fitting the other brake handle sorts the issue out for us if you feel its an issue cost is £21 + vat from stihl.

JON

Its actually a new 660 ive almost built up from parts hence the issue of not realising there where 2 different brake handles fitted. Ones slightly straighter and higher than the other which is what I need.