Which tractor log splitter?

Tilio-acerion

I've currently got a custom made 10t hydraulic log splitter, with auto return and will split 1m billets which I run off a tractors hydraulics but have got the chance of picking up a cheap Fergy t20 to run the/a log splitter, thus freeing up the other tractor. Problem is the Fergies hydraulics won't be fit for the splitter so I'll either have to convert it to pto pump or sell it and get a purpose built one ie Posch, Thor etc.

Just wondering what to do . . . .:confused1:

I've currently got a custom made 10t hydraulic log splitter, with auto return and will split 1m billets which I run off a tractors hydraulics but have got the chance of picking up a cheap Fergy t20 to run the/a log splitter, thus freeing up the other tractor. Problem is the Fergies hydraulics won't be fit for the splitter so I'll either have to convert it to pto pump or sell it and get a purpose built one ie Posch, Thor etc.

Seen the posch 20 ton in action...........awesome bit of kit:thumbup1:

Pto is the way to go for a grey fergie. A new thor/posch pto setup will start at 2/2.5 grand though. Converting your current to pto shouldn't be very difficult. clip-on pto pump, pipe work and a reservoir. 100's of quid rather then 1000's.

Pto is the way to go for a grey fergie. A new thor/posch pto setup will start at 2/2.5 grand though. Converting your current to pto shouldn't be very difficult. clip-on pto pump, pipe work and a reservoir. 100's of quid rather then 1000's.

HI LEE is that all a posch 20ton is £2,5k thats sound very good thanks jon :thumbup:

HI LEE is that all a posch 20ton is £2,5k thats sound very good thanks jon :thumbup:

Hi Lee, Jon,

Posch hydrocombi 20t was £3,150 basic machine plus vat, plus delivery, plus any extras, when we bought ours in 2010.

So has price dropped, or did they see us coming!?:-)

Cheers, John.

Hi Tilio,

Do you find your machine powerful enough, if you do then the idea of clipping a pto pump on sounds good and not expensive, and if you can figure the best flow you could get a good speed.

We use a Posch 20t and it has that autospeed set up which gives pretty fast up and down at half power, then slows down to full power if it needs to, which is still fast enough. Been a good tool, as an all rounder. Think it's rated at about 23 pto hp, a grey Fergie must turn out around that? Probably be a good quiet set up.

Cheers, John.

If you go down the purpose built rout there is series of videos of the usual suspects being tested. Sadley all in German but you can pick up quite lot from them unless you speak German in which case they will make complete sense :001_smile:

Here are some of the machines in the test but if you look at the suggested column on the right on youtube you can find the rest of the machines in the test.

Went for the Krpan myself. Heavily built and fast plus a fair bit cheaper than the Posch.

I have seen "log splitter" valve-blocks, for sale by Whitehouse.

I unserstand this to mean the valve-block with the oil injection or whatever it is called however it works SYSTEM that recirculates some of the returning oil to speed up the ram return stroke.

I imagine.

but anyway such valves are now commerrically available

I have seen "log splitter" valve-blocks, for sale by Whitehouse.

I unserstand this to mean the valve-block with the oil injection or whatever it is called however it works SYSTEM that recirculates some of the returning oil to speed up the ram return stroke.

I imagine.

but anyway such valves are now commerrically available

yes that's how I understand it too, probably not a massive amount of money?

Hi Lee, Jon,

Posch hydrocombi 20t was £3,150 basic machine plus vat, plus delivery, plus any extras, when we bought ours in 2010.

So has price dropped, or did they see us coming!?:-)

Cheers, John.

See above, I was referring to starting prices, not a specific model.

Think the entry level pto setup is about a 13 tonner (thor) and 10 tonner (posch).