Lowering from a Ground anchor?

TKO

Cant say i have done it from an anchor that has been screwed in the ground but have lowered using various vehicles: chipper, truck etc.

The trouble i can see with the ground anchor is that you can not calculate force factors. Russian roulette

We've use ground anchors for speed lining before when there hasn't been any trees or where the trees were insufficient as anchors but I've never used a ground anchor purely for lowering.

In the past I've used a lowering device on the back of the trucks tow bar when I've needed to keep lines clear.

In theory I can't see why it wouldn't work so long as the ground anchor is secure at all times - the ground anchor we use is ex-military and consists of an angle iron section which is 'stapled' to the ground via 8 x 1m long spikes; either end are eyelets where the shackle or such like are located.

Not sure if this helps

Has anybody ever tried lowering off a turf mounted ground anchor before? If so how did you get on and were there any drawbacks?

Cheers

Never had the need too . If no anchor point available always used the Landy tow hitch or winch bumper . Interested to see if anyone has used this alternative though . Good post :001_smile:

We've use ground anchors for speed lining before when there hasn't been any trees or where the trees were insufficient as anchors but I've never used a ground anchor purely for lowering.

In the past I've used a lowering device on the back of the trucks tow bar when I've needed to keep lines clear.

In theory I can't see why it wouldn't work so long as the ground anchor is secure at all times - the ground anchor we use is ex-military and consists of an angle iron section which is 'stapled' to the ground via 8 x 1m long spikes; either end are eyelets where the shackle or such like are located.

Not sure if this helps

I have done 'what he said' BUT I have found that the angle iron + staple anchor is only really effective when the pull is in line with it (such as with winching stuck trucks or speed lining). If you were lowering, the pull is at right angles to the ground which would soon risk 'peeling' it upwards.

Thinking about it ? On a domestic job or any job for that matter . Smashing 1 metre long metal spikes into the ground needs to be done with caution . Possibility of hitting Gas , Water and even Electric cable not to mention hitting drainage .

Underground services definitely need to be located before hand. We've been fortunate that all services have been visible when we've used the ground anchor.

Underground services definitely need to be located before hand. We've been fortunate that all services have been visible when we've used the ground anchor.

Cool never used a specific ground anchor . Just thought I should mention it as its one of the first things I thought of . Well after a minute or so :thumbup1: