Requirements for 7.5ton truck?

chris23a

Im currently using an 3.5 ton Iveco double cab tipper which weighs around 3300kg empty! Ive been thinking about doing the lgv license (passed my test after Jan 97) so I can get a 7.5 ton truck but theres a few things I need clarified first.

Do I need CPC training/license?

Do I need a tacho?

What about this 6 weekly inspections ive heard of?

Many thanks.

Hi Chris,

Yes to all the above...

You will need to take CPS training before September (not sure exact date..but best to book in now before the rush)

All road vehicles above 3.5 tons require a tacho.

You will need to carry out checks every 6 weeks on your vehicle.

You will also need to hold an operators licence.

Check with VOSA for exact details.

Didn't realise an iveco was so heavy.

Our landscaping teams use the equivalent transit crew cab tippers which weigh 2.6 tons unladen. We were always overweight when our tree team used them even without the chipper.

We were going to go the 7.5ton route but decided to get a mog.

Agricultural registered.

Zero road tax

No tacho

Car licence ok

No ops licence or cps required

(We do carry out six week checks and run on white diesel due to road use though)

Hope this helps

Ti

I thought the CPC stuff was only if driving was your main line of work eg. haulier? And I thought tachos were only needed if your travelling more than 30 miles from base?

Hi Chris,

Just to clarify. I did my operators licence a couple of years ago and the info I have given is what I was told on the course to the best of my ability.

We bought a 7,5ton truck and I found out that I needed an ops licence even though I already had the 7.5ton entitlement. In September the law will change again and anyone who drives one commercially needs a cps. Concerning the 6 wk checks there is a sliding scale i.e: a lorry that is only used a couple of days a week in "light" work can be tested less frequently than every 6 wks.

A lorry used daily in heavy work situations such as a quarry tipper can be required to be tested more frequently up to every 4 weeks.

Having said that the rules are changing all the time and it is hard to keep up....

I'm pretty certain that a tacho is required regardless of distance and mileage.

I remember before I went on my ops course I had been told many different things about 7.5 rules by many different people and a lot of the advice I was given turned out to be incorrect due to changes in the law.

Best to find out from VOSA what applies to you,

Thanks mate

Ti

Hi Chris,

Just to clarify. I did my operators licence a couple of years ago and the info I have given is what I was told on the course to the best of my ability.

We bought a 7,5ton truck and I found out that I needed an ops licence even though I already had the 7.5ton entitlement. In September the law will change again and anyone who drives one commercially needs a cps. Concerning the 6 wk checks there is a sliding scale i.e: a lorry that is only used a couple of days a week in "light" work can be tested less frequently than every 6 wks.

A lorry used daily in heavy work situations such as a quarry tipper can be required to be tested more frequently up to every 4 weeks.

Having said that the rules are changing all the time and it is hard to keep up....

I'm pretty certain that a tacho is required regardless of distance and mileage.

I remember before I went on my ops course I had been told many different things about 7.5 rules by many different people and a lot of the advice I was given turned out to be incorrect due to changes in the law.

Best to find out from VOSA what applies to you,

Thanks mate

Ti

You don't need a CPC holder if your "O" licence is a restricted one (as most tree surgeons would require)

You don't need a driver CPC if driving isn't your main job so as a tree surgeon you are exempt

You don't need a CPC holder if your "O" licence is a restricted one (as most tree surgeons would require)

You don't need a driver CPC if driving isn't your main job so as a tree surgeon you are exempt

Hi

I drive to Europe in a 7.5 ton a couple of times a year. Our o licence is a full one. Our lorry is parked up most of the time. Does that mean I don't need a cpc in sept. ??

Thanks.