Am I cursed?

DanClimbsTrees

It sounds like someone has performed a ceremony there. The object that you've found could be one of 2 things. An offering or a charm / talisman as part of spell work. Generally though, spell work would involve destruction of the device by burning it or such like to release the energy of the spell towards it's aim. Where as a talisman is like a good luck charm (like a lucky rabbits foot) that would be carried with the person. So I think it is more likely to be an offering.

I'm not familiar with the symbol on the front, but I suspect it is meant to represent the 8 spoked wheel of the year symbolising the turning cycles of life. The symbols on the back are Runes (dating back to Viking use). From the top going clockwise they are:

Othila - Separation, retreat, inheritance

Thurisaz - Gateway

Isa - Withdrawl, winter

Nauthiz - Constraint, necessity, pain

Gebo - Partnership

Looking at it all together my theory would be that someone was performing a kind of memorial ceremony for a loved one.

So no, I would say that you aren't cursed. You could look at what you have as a pretty charm made with a great deal of love and devotion or equivalent to picking up flowers from a graveyard. So depending on your feeling I'd either keep it and appreciate it or return it to where you found it. (If you return it please cut the cord so it doesn't form a loop that wildlife could get tangled in. Any pagan should know better than to have left it like that.)

It sounds like someone has performed a ceremony there. The object that you've found could be one of 2 things. An offering or a charm / talisman as part of spell work. Generally though, spell work would involve destruction of the device by burning it or such like to release the energy of the spell towards it's aim. Where as a talisman is like a good luck charm (like a lucky rabbits foot) that would be carried with the person. So I think it is more likely to be an offering.

I'm not familiar with the symbol on the front, but I suspect it is meant to represent the 8 spoked wheel of the year symbolising the turning cycles of life. The symbols on the back are Runes (dating back to Viking use). From the top going clockwise they are:

Othila - Separation, retreat, inheritance

Thurisaz - Gateway

Isa - Withdrawl, winter

Nauthiz - Constraint, necessity, pain

Gebo - Partnership

Looking at it all together my theory would be that someone was performing a kind of memorial ceremony for a loved one.

So no, I would say that you aren't cursed. You could look at what you have as a pretty charm made with a great deal of love and devotion or equivalent to picking up flowers from a graveyard. So depending on your feeling I'd either keep it and appreciate it or return it to where you found it. (If you return it please cut the cord so it doesn't form a loop that wildlife could get tangled in. Any pagan should know better than to have left it like that.)

Wow, cheers Chris for an excellent answer. How did you come to know so much about the subject?

I'm going climbing there again this weekend so I'll put out back under the tree and remove the loop.

Thanks, Dan

I've been pagan for about 20 years. I tend to read quite widely about what a lot of people would call new age hippy stuff, so I have a basic knowledge even if it isn't something I would be into myself. I don't do much with Runes my self so I had to check those in a book for the meanings.

You don't necessarily need to remove the cord just cut / untie it so that it is 2 separate strands rather than a loop that something could get a head or feet stuck in.

That is strange, but cool. I don't know anything about it but somebody obviously took time and care to make it. I would cut the string and put it back where it came from. Somebody obviously put it there for a reason.

My gramp used to do things like that. We have a very ancient orchard down home on the farm. Every year when we went to pick apples my gramp would take a little bowl of cider, a handful of corn, a bit of brown bread and place these along with the first apple picked on the gate post to the orchard. I was only young and he died before i really had chance to ask him about it. Anyone have any suggestions?

That is strange, but cool. I don't know anything about it but somebody obviously took time and care to make it. I would cut the string and put it back where it came from. Somebody obviously put it there for a reason.

My gramp used to do things like that. We have a very ancient orchard down home on the farm. Every year when we went to pick apples my gramp would take a little bowl of cider, a handful of corn, a bit of brown bread and place these along with the first apple picked on the gate post to the orchard. I was only young and he died before i really had chance to ask him about it. Anyone have any suggestions?

He was feeding the tree guardian to ensure a good crop the following year. Very common in cider orchards. :001_smile: