Hitchclimber alternative...

edbol

The thing I don't like about the Hitchclimber is... You have to pull yourself up, and then pull the rope through the VT (or whatever knot you are using)...

So I came up with this. See pics

You can reach up and pull down, to ascend, without then having to pull the rope through the VT. The Pusik moves up with the pulley. Need a better option than a jubilee clip, but its the principle of the idea... perhaps velcro.

Is there a product on the market that neatly grips a pulley to the rope like this?

Cheers

2014-06-19_15-03-54_819.jpg.7a8bd362219d79e92e9637f4f09d6e88.jpg

2014-06-19_15-03-39_265.jpg.495e9cd627b105e148117e66f18197df.jpg

Various versions of that idea have been around a long time, but as Craig says it shows your thinking beyond the usual frame of thought. Have you tried using a much shorter hitch?

Just to put things in perspective and to make sure we all understand each other clearly, the system being referred to in the thread title, 'hitchclimber' is not what that system is called.

The hitchcimber pulley arrived very late to the party and it seems many people assume the system of using a micro pulley for tending slack and as a fair lead is called the hitchclimber system, it's not.

Treeclimbers had been placing a micro pulley beneath their hitch in their system for the reasons stated above for well over 10 years before the hitchclimber appeared on the scene.

Also, the CMI Mickey Mouse pulley had been around a long time before the Hitchclimber. Having said that I do appreciate the Hitchclimber was a step forward for many climbers. However many climbers still use a regular single micro pulley for tending slack.

Edited by scotspine1

Good stuff, cheers.

I like to reach as far a possible to under the prusik to give me a long length of pull, hence the long prusik loop... its basically working out the best format of attaching the pulley to the rope that I'm interested in. Its got to be easy to flip on and off and not be in the way

Sent from my SM-T210 using Arbtalk mobile app