Radiators...

Ty Korrigan

And so,

We enter into our 3rd year of ownership of our G.M Quadchip

It has been an excellent investment for us all round.

However, when we chip conifer on dry warm days (something we do a lot!)

The radiator screen requires clearing every truck load or so.

A fine fibrous mat develops over the screen and also blocks the lower hydraulic radiator.

We also open the hatch to give the compartment a blow out with the leaf blower and then back at base blow out with an airline.

Our Carlton 4012 suffers the same problem to a lesser degree but even so yesterday with the swirling currents of hot dusty air carrying wood fine chip up into it needs to have the radiator blown out between stumps.

Not a moan, just an observation.

Ty

And so,

We enter into our 3rd year of ownership of our G.M Quadchip

It has been an excellent investment for us all round.

However, when we chip conifer on dry warm days (something we do a lot!)

The radiator screen requires clearing every truck load or so.

A fine fibrous mat develops over the screen and also blocks the lower hydraulic radiator.

We also open the hatch to give the compartment a blow out with the leaf blower and then back at base blow out with an airline.

Our Carlton 4012 suffers the same problem to a lesser degree but even so yesterday with the swirling currents of hot dusty air carrying wood fine chip up into it needs to have the radiator blown out between stumps.

Not a moan, just an observation.

Ty

Twas ever thus

Banging out the chaff screens is (should be) an hourly occurrence at harvesting time.

I watched a program years a ago about a guy that ran a saw mill off of big diesels and they too had this problem off blocking rads. They were having lots of down time blowing them out and he invented a fan that automatically reversed its pitch so it sucked for a time and then blew . Sorted :thumbup1: I wonder when an idea like that will find its way into the chipper market.

Bob

I watched a program years a ago about a guy that ran a saw mill off of big diesels and they too had this problem off blocking rads. They were having lots of down time blowing them out and he invented a fan that automatically reversed its pitch so it sucked for a time and then blew . Sorted :thumbup1: I wonder when an idea like that will find its way into the chipper market.

Bob

Its been around for a while on bigger machines

I have had sucess with a fine stainless mesh, i just make a stainless frame that clips over the rad grill and simply pop it off and blow it off when choked. Mainly on tractors and plant but no reason why it shouldnt work on other things.

Coming back to what others have said about a reversable fan, i have used several of these, again mostly on tractors, the ones i have used work on a compressed air system. Via a timer and solenoid it reverses the pitch of the fan so blows instead of sucks. Very good and really efficient, however you need a soirce pf air, not a problem on tractors as nearly all have air brakes etc on. Also fitted one to my uncles willabongo (?) chipper. Something like a 600hp man engine. What a weapon that was. I wired it to the water temperature sensor, a timer and remote in the loader. I think the kit was something like 3 grand though.

Food for thought. Hope it helps.

Had issues with a kubota engine overheating on a vergers BC150. Eventually took the radiator off and got refrigeration fin cleaning chemical on it... now we have no issues. I know it's basic stuff, I just like to share things when they go right.

I used this stuff

EnviroCoil | Advanced Engineering[slider]/0/

Apparently road film cleaner also works well.

Bob

The big machines have this. Makes no sense not to have it on small machines too.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

The big machines have this. Makes no sense not to have it on small machines too.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

Mmmmm...Looking into this one.....Will get back on here with findings :001_smile:

I think some of the manitou telehandlers have reversing fans. The other problem I have found is if people pressure wash from the wrong side it pushes the dirt further in to the matrix push it back out the way it came in and not to much pressure.